cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone volume issues

Pawel Lenart
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently running 2 UC560 systems. Both systems are almost identical all phonecalls going to AA and next to BACD except one is using SIP trunks only and this system is working fine and second system is using mix of FXO & SIP and on this system phone volume is very low when receiving phonecalls (via FXO or SIP). Does anyone had this kind of problem before? Is there any way to fix this problem?

13 Replies 13

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Pawel,

The UC's have an issue with audio quality when using the SPA phones in conjunction with analogue (FXO) lines, there is little that you can do to improve it a great deal, however SBCS can assist you with some approved CLI changes that will up the gain levels on the Voice-Port... However I caution you in doing this as it can introduce reverb and at times echo to the line, this is a variable thing and may not be imediatly identified by the SBCS support representative, it could take days before the issue surfaces.

However if you use an ISDN/PRI or SIP trunk, the audio quality is brilliant, this is an FXO line issue in conjunction with the SPA series phones, you can avoid this by using the 7900 series phones or the 6900 series, both of them do not suffer from this issue in my experience

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I tried to get help from Cisco but we are do not yet have UCS  specialization so they will not support us on CLI. David, so If now I  disable FXO ports, volume should be better or this is known issue with  every UC560 with build-in FXO ports (regardless of using / not using  FXO)?

For FXO ports you should run a THL tone sweep to find the optimal circuit impdance.

Then, adjust gain as necessary.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a0080477a06.shtml

In my opinion there is no need to Drag cisco in there to do that.

Hi Pawel,

I am really sorry to hear that this has happened to you, this is a well

known and well documented problem and I am getting increasingly frustrated

with them denying people CLI support regarding this problem.

I would highly encourage you to get a duty supervisor involved through an

escalation process, they should not under any circumstances be denying you

support for this problem.

Please do not try and work on this on your own, if you originally set this

system up using CCA, you should do everything required to keep it within

this scope, I would be derelict in my duties if I didn't reinforce the

issue of maintaining CCA compliance, please escalate the issue with SBCS.

If there is a Cisco Support rep monitoring this thread, please do the right

thing by Pawel and have this issue attended to and have proper support

given to resolve this issue... If I can also suggest that you educate the

staff to properly and thoroughly investigate an issue before dismissing

support because of no UC specializations, it is a poor indictment on Cisco

to do otherwise.

On Apr 28, 2012 8:50 PM, "lenartpawel" <

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi Pawel,

Where exactly the volume is very low? On FXS port or on the IP phones? On your side or the callers from outside cannot hear you when they call? What are the phones with this problems?

Please answers the questions above to get the problem properly.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry about delay. They have this volume problem on IP phones (they don't use FXS). When I'm calling / they are calling volume is very low on their side (they can hear me fine, I hear them but volume is low). All phones have the same problems.

Hi Pawel,

Please tell me what is the model of the phones and what is their firmware. Is this happenig using the SIP trunk.

Best regards,

Alex

Phone model is SPA504G and firmware: 7.4.8

I know newer firmware is already out but I have second UC500 with same firmware and I don't have this problems with my second UC500 without FXO ports.

Hi Pawel,

Could you tell me if you attach another 79xx series phone is the volume still low?

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Alex, I will try it next week and I will let you know.

Hi Pawel,

It will be interesting to see your results as in all my tests that I have done, the 7900 series was never faced with the volume issue when the system ran on FXO connectivity.

Cant wait to see the outcome

Cheers,

David.

Hello,

Same issues with same phones, 23 SPA504G with SERIOUS voice volume problems, latest firmware but no improve of sound volume.

Client is starting to get rid of it.... And I am waiting for any CISCO answer, and waiting.... and waiting....

Any news?????

Thanks.

Hello Manuel,

Please contact the SBSC and open a case about this issue.

The SBSC(Small Business Support Center) contact numbers are on the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Best regards,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: