cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco MX200/MX300 & EX90 and Crestron touchpanel

cjoseph23
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if they can control these units using a Crestron touchpanel?   I know the other codecs, c40/c60,c90, can be controlled via a crestron touchpanel but not sure about these.

I am asking becuase we are placing 8 of these units into conference rooms which already have a Crestron in them and would like to use just the one panel rather that having both sitting on the table.

Regards,

CJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

First of all, I would like to mention that even if you try to use both the Touch panels, it would not work. The reason being that once Cisco Touch Panel is connected, it takes the OSD control and it is not possible to control it using other interfaces. I recommend using just the Crestron.

Coming to the second part. In Ex90, there is a maintenance RJ45 port at the bottom which can be used to control it. If you can get the cable to have RJ45 connected on Ex90 on one end of the cable and the other end for Crestron, I believe you should be able to achieve the desired results.

For MX series, there is a serial port which would allow you to control the device, hence I think you can plugin the Crestron using the serial port and you should be able to send commands to it and control it. However, keep in mind that if the Cisco Touch Panel is connected, you might face issues using the Crestron. For your reference please find the serial port settings on the Mx series below :

SerialPort Mode

Set the COM 1 serial port to be enabled/disabled.

Requires user role: ADMIN

Value space:

On: Enable the COM 1 serial port.

Off: Disable the COM 1 serial port.

Example: SerialPort Mode: On

SerialPort BaudRate

Specify the baud rate (data transmission rate, bits per second) for the COM 1 port on the codec.

The default value is 38400.

Connection parameters for the COM port: Data bits: 8; Parity: None; Stop bits: 1; Flow control:

None.

Value space: <9600/19200/38400/57600/115200>

Range: Select a baud rate from the baud rates listed (bps).

Example: SerialPort BaudRate: 38400

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

First of all, I would like to mention that even if you try to use both the Touch panels, it would not work. The reason being that once Cisco Touch Panel is connected, it takes the OSD control and it is not possible to control it using other interfaces. I recommend using just the Crestron.

Coming to the second part. In Ex90, there is a maintenance RJ45 port at the bottom which can be used to control it. If you can get the cable to have RJ45 connected on Ex90 on one end of the cable and the other end for Crestron, I believe you should be able to achieve the desired results.

For MX series, there is a serial port which would allow you to control the device, hence I think you can plugin the Crestron using the serial port and you should be able to send commands to it and control it. However, keep in mind that if the Cisco Touch Panel is connected, you might face issues using the Crestron. For your reference please find the serial port settings on the Mx series below :

SerialPort Mode

Value space:

On: Enable the COM 1 serial port.

Off: Disable the COM 1 serial port.

Example: SerialPort Mode: On

SerialPort BaudRate

Specify the baud rate (data transmission rate, bits per second) for the COM 1 port on the codec.

The default value is 38400.

Connection parameters for the COM port: Data bits: 8; Parity: None; Stop bits: 1; Flow control:

None.

Value space: <9600/19200/38400/57600/115200>

Range: Select a baud rate from the baud rates listed (bps).

Example: SerialPort BaudRate: 38400

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks for the info.  If we use the crestron we will disconnect the cisco touchpanel.  the idea was to have the crestron control everything in the room (lights, blinds, Projector, MX200, etc...)

Regards,

Cyril

Hi,

Good. I am glad to see that it helped you.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Did you ever get this to work on an MX200? I am currently attempting the same and cannot get the unit to talk serially.

Thanks!

db

Hi Danny,

I think you should check the cable which you are using to connect to the console of the MX200. Then you will also need to check the baud rate settings on it.

Once the console session is successfully established, you should be able to use the Crestron Touch Panel. However, please keep in mind that it would not work if the Cisco Touch Panel is connected. Once the Cisco Touch Panel is connected, it would take over the OSD and you will not be able to control the device using any other means i.e (Serial, Remote)

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Danny,

Currently we are using both the crestron (to control the room) and the cisco touch panel (to control the MX).  I haven't had time to mess with connecting the crestron because as soon as i put the unit in the conference room people started to use it.  I can't take it offline anymore.

I did see this in the support forums about connecting a console cable to an EX90 - maybe this would help you out as well

https://supportfourms.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24305

I may try and connect the crestron this weekend as i have some maintenence to do.  I will let you know what happens.

Regards,

Cyril

Thank you both for responding so quickly.

I have built the console cable and verified it several times. I am getting nothing from the MX200 at all. I have double checked all serial settings and followed all instructions to the letter. Still nothing. The unfortunate part is this was sold to my client as a controllable piece by a third party and now it is up to me to make this work ASAP. I am going to keep trying for a few hours today, but I am losing hope in this battle. Is there a possibilty that the serial port is disabled on the MX200 by default?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny,

You may have to enable the serial port.  The following commands will help.  Hoepfully this will get you in this box. 

SerialPort Mode

Requires user role:

ADMIN

Value space:

On:

Off:

Example:

SerialPort Mode: On

Disable the COM 1 serial port.

Enable the COM 1 serial port.

Regards,

Cyril

Does this box not use the same API as the C series? I thought the command for this started with an xConfiguration.

Hi Danny,

Please do one thing connect Laptop using serial connection with MX and type following command:

xfeedback register /event

after this command type:

xfeedback list you should get /event

Try dialling from codec and see whether you get event details or not, on serial terminal you will get different output starting with *e. If you get output then connect that serial connection with Crestron and then enable Ist command if you didn't get anything on crestron.

Let us know what's the outcome.

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Danny,

Yes, you are right. Somehow the complete command was not mentioned in the document. Here's the command :

*c xConfiguration SerialPort Mode: On

*c xConfiguration SerialPort BaudRate: 38400

Also, please try what Vivek has suggested. It might help to get the status on the serial port.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: