Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS-4000 dropping ip connections

I have my RVS-4000 configured using static IP addresses in the LAN configuration.  The users use DHCP to get their addresses (for the most part, a couple may have static IPs set on the computer). I have the maximum number of DHCP users set to 1 to restrict the ability of people to log in to the system. That one address is locked down.

The internal address of the router is set to 182.168.2.1.  It doesn't conflict with anything on my network. I have 35 static IPs. About half of them are uing IP Based ACL to limit their access time but that doesn't seem to bear any relationship to what drops off.

Almost daily one or more of the users will lose their IP address and a hard reset of the router is required.  The user this happens to seems random and it may be more than one but seldom all of them.  The network includes Windows7 (Home & Pro), a FreeNAS, Macs (Leopard and Snow Leopard), iPad, iPods, an iPhone and an AirPort Extreme used as a WAP (DHCP is disabled).  The AirPort is plugged directly into the router and has a staic ip on the RVS-4000 but is set to DHCP.  It seems to be the most common problem child.

Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

blwright
Level 1
Level 1

Peter,

I'm sorry to see that you are experiencing this issue. Are the devices that are losing the IP addresses wired or wireless devices? Are the devices that are having problems static or dynamic DHCP clients?

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

Both wired and wireless. Wireless seems to be more frequent (subjecively).  Both static and DHCP have been affected but I would sayDHCP happens more frequently the the static machines. To be sure we are on the same page, I am talking about the local machine address (DHCP or Static) and not the router setup.

Pete

Peter,

I think it would be best for you to call 1.866.606.1866 and open a support ticket so that we can assist you with getting this issue resolved. One other thing that you can try is to enable DHCP on the Airport and disable it on the RVS4000. If the problem is the DHCP on the RVS this will quickly tell us and we will have a more specific direction for troubleshooting. Hope this helps

Blake

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: