Replies

TMS 13.2 + Provisioning extension is out

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Juergen!

Ah, yes, forgot to give a feedback here :-)

For me the fix was that I specified the port manually in the address field like:

127.0.0.1:1433

or what ever you have set up as the ip/port it listens to on TCP.

I also had disabled named pipes:

Addon: if I remember it right you also see a syn to 1434 or something like that, so not sure why the instller behaves like that)

Good success and please rate the message using the stars below!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

75 Replies 75

Darren Lapierre
Level 4
Level 4

about time! thanks for the heads up, Magnus!

D.

Thanks Martin

When is 14.0 coming out?  This looks to me llike nothing more than a maintenance release.  I am very disappointed to say the least with this.  I was really looking forward to the next version.  Currently running 13.1.2 and looks like it's not worth it to upgrade because it would break more things than it fixes.

there are definitely some more functionality surrounding the provisioning agent. Alot of back-end went into developing a more robust provisioning experience. The old LDAP opends was sometimes flakey and very in-consistant.

But yes, if you dont experience any issues, i would suggest waiting til TMS 14.0.

Hi Michael

Indeed the 13.2 is a minor release which has introduced some minor fixes/changes to TMS it self. The most important thing with TMS 13.2 is the new provisioning model TMSPE (Provisioning Extension) which is a major upgrade in terms of stability and scalability for the provisioning part of TMS.

This is the main reason that TMS 13.2 has been a version many have been waiting for because it introduces support for the new provisioning model as Darren is mentioning above.

Is there anything specific the TMS 13.2 will break compared to TMS 13.1.2?  Any functionality you are waiting for in particular for TMS 14.x?

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

TMSPE Deployment Guide says

Prior to installation and deployment of Cisco TMSPE, we recommend upgrading all endpoints to the latest software version available.

which is fair enough, however, I will most probably have a number of users still on JV 4.2 when I implement TMSPE next week-end - will this cause provisioning problems for these users?

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

I have a similar question to Jens above;

We do not currently use TMS Agent provisioning, but we are looking at rolling out Jabber/Movi.  I was waiting until TMS 13.2 came out so I could use provisioning extension mode;  can I continue to use templates etc for my video endpoints (many of which are on old software) while I use TMSPE for Jabber/Movi only?

Hi Nick

You are talking about the configuration templates for the video endpoints? If so then yes you can continue using the configuration templates along side with the Jabber using the TMSPE.

Just so I have not misunderstood you here is a screenshot of the feature I think you are talking about:

/Magnus

Hi Jens

You will be able to login with JV 4.2 with the new provisioning extension yes. But you need to have a 4.2 configuration template installed.

/Magnus

Thanks Magnus, very much appreciated.

/jens

Jens / Nick: like I wrote before, test it upfront you deploy it do better understand which impact

it might have on your deployment. The major showstopper for me is the missing user level configuration

and the changed capability to inherit settings to child folders and that you might end up with way

to many configuration templates which then get out of sync.

There are some clear benefits of the new model, like better scaling (not a full-mesh replication anymore).

If you had multiple vcs with the provisioning agent running (also multiple clusters) then you might know

what I am talking about. The replication of specific sub levels to a vcs or different provisioning phonebooks

based on groups.

Jens: you can still use the same xml device templates you had used before, so the movi/JV version

itself is not an issue. In addon what Magnus said, you could also log in with a Jabber 4.4 profile.

Nick: the devices which can be provisioned did not change and also the old style  "System Navigator"

incl "the provisioning templates" (not to be mixed up with the provisioning directory) still exist in 13.2-

Its  the provisioning directory backend and its user-frontend which is new.

TMS13.2 will work with the old style open-ds provisioning as well, so at least there is no force to use TMSPE.

If you don't have enormous trouble with the old provisioning and you are not dependent on new functionality

then it might make sense just to wait what other new functionality will be introduced with the next version.

Nick/Jens: whats the reason why you "desperatly" want to upgrade to it?

Michael: what are the features you were hoping to see?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks Martin/Magnus.

The reason I want to upgrade;

We currently don't have any Movi/Jabber users but we want to roll this feature out.  Up until now, we haven't used provisioning, but it was enabled however not working properly (like that since before I started here).  There seem to be lots of issues with the way our old provisioning/TMS agent configuration that seemed like more hassle than it was worth to fix it as I had no users or anything to migrate anyway, so I decided to wait for TMSPE.

Hi Martin,

Oh, I don't "desperately" want to upgrade to it as the  existing provisioning method doesn't give us too many problems in  general.

Having said that, Cisco recommends the upgrade  to fix an outstanding TAC case we have which involves JabberVideo 4.3  and 4.4 not playing nice on Macs running L...n 7.3 (can't spell it out as the Cisco spam filter then blocks post) - and as we are  getting more and more L...ns prowling our network, it needs to get fixed  sooner rather than later.

After a lot of testing, log  traces etc - Cisco believes our issue is caused by the current  provisioning method and we should not see it with TMSPE.

Upgrading  from 13.1.2 to 13.2 doesn't worry me at all, it was the TMSPE that I  wasn't too sure about. However, seeing that I can turn off TMSPE and go  back to TMS Agent should I need to, and the fact I can still use the old  templates for the few users I still have on 4.2, makes me feel a lot  better about it.

/jens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: