cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM and ACS upgrade

oshincisco
Level 1
Level 1

1.       Cisco ACS /Solution Engine I think, the dedicated appliance, unknown version)

2.       Cisco Security Manager 3.1

Are upgrades possible, or purchase of lastest version of the product is the only way out?

What do we need for upgrading?

Are there specific codes or new need to buy new products?

In case of buying new products, which are the configurations?

Your response will be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ACS appliance has been released with at least three different major releases - 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x. If you have ACS 4.2 on an 1120 appliance, you can upgrade to the latest (5.3) on the same hardware. Anything else will require a new appliance (or use a VM solution).

Please refer to the ordering guide and the migration guide for this information.

For CSM, to upgrade you would need to go to 3.3. first and then to the current (4.2) CSM release. The necessary licenses are described in this product bulletin.

It would probably be easier and cleaner to just build a new installation in both cases. Both products' architecture and db schema have changed significantly. The upgrade SKUs will probably save you some in licensing costs although both products have undergone changes in how they are licensed.

Note that CSM will be coming out with a new version 4.3 later this spring.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ACS appliance has been released with at least three different major releases - 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x. If you have ACS 4.2 on an 1120 appliance, you can upgrade to the latest (5.3) on the same hardware. Anything else will require a new appliance (or use a VM solution).

Please refer to the ordering guide and the migration guide for this information.

For CSM, to upgrade you would need to go to 3.3. first and then to the current (4.2) CSM release. The necessary licenses are described in this product bulletin.

It would probably be easier and cleaner to just build a new installation in both cases. Both products' architecture and db schema have changed significantly. The upgrade SKUs will probably save you some in licensing costs although both products have undergone changes in how they are licensed.

Note that CSM will be coming out with a new version 4.3 later this spring.

Thanks mate

You're welcome.

Please rate helpful posts or mark your question as answered to help improve the forum's usefulness to others.

Hi

I was just reading some other posts on integrating CSM 4.2 with ACS (appliance) 5.3... Is it possible to have these versions working together? I can understand if past versions worked (CSM with ACS 4.x) why does future versions not work? I have a new setup at these current version - I wish to put them together to enhance my CSM roles.

Possible?

Unfortunately the products are at a divergent point right now. Some integration is possible (reference) but it's far from ideal.

ACS 5.x moved away from several other Cisco products, notably LMS (Cisco Prime) and CSM.

Hi,

I cannot see your "reference", get a 403 error... can you provide document id? Thanks

Sorry - my reference link was under the partners' page.

The same information (CSM 4.2 release notes, section referencing "Supported Component Versions and Related Software") is on the customer page here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/security/security_management/cisco_security_manager/security_manager/4.2/release/notes/csmrn42.html#wp82393

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: