cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

uc540 sip trunk connection need help

dominic lazure
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys, i did not found a guide yet for the uc540 about connecting a sip trunk to the system.. so im asking it here.

Am i suposed to connect the network cable from my sip trunk router into any fastethernet port?

if so, how do i tell the uc540 wich port my sip trunk is connected to it.

thx im a little bit confused

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dominic,

If your SIP trunk router is the one with Internet connection for example usually you connect it to the WAN port of the UC540 (Fastethernet 0/0). If you have another router to the Internet and specific to the SIP provider can also connect it on the WAN side and setup the correct routing through your default gateway of the network. If you need the UC540 to connect only to the SIP provider you can also connect the SIP router to the WAN port. This are the ways usually. There are also other approaches when connecting to the LAN ports and use another default gateway for the network when you do not have dedicated WAN for the UC and do not want the data traffic to traverse the UC.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

Hi Dominic,

This is just a example:

1. On the lan side of the internet router you connect the wan port of the UC540 and the LAN port of the SIP provider. On the UC540 default gateway will be the internet router and static route to the SIP provider through the SIP provider router and route voice vlan trough the sip provider router too. Note this could be achieved only CLI config I believe.

2. If you have to be CCA compliant you could connect Internet provider router on the LAN side of the UC540 and DHCP will point to the Internet router as default gateway for the Data vlan. Then connect the SIP provider router to the WAN port of the UC540 and make the UC540 default gateway for the voice vlan.

HTH,

Alex

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi Dominic,

If your SIP trunk router is the one with Internet connection for example usually you connect it to the WAN port of the UC540 (Fastethernet 0/0). If you have another router to the Internet and specific to the SIP provider can also connect it on the WAN side and setup the correct routing through your default gateway of the network. If you need the UC540 to connect only to the SIP provider you can also connect the SIP router to the WAN port. This are the ways usually. There are also other approaches when connecting to the LAN ports and use another default gateway for the network when you do not have dedicated WAN for the UC and do not want the data traffic to traverse the UC.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

hi alexander,

Thx for the answer, but i still have one question you might be able to answer.

If i need to connect the router with the internet connection on the WAN port, where am i connecteing the router the sip trunk provider gave me? both on the wan? how?

Hi Dominic,

This is just a example:

1. On the lan side of the internet router you connect the wan port of the UC540 and the LAN port of the SIP provider. On the UC540 default gateway will be the internet router and static route to the SIP provider through the SIP provider router and route voice vlan trough the sip provider router too. Note this could be achieved only CLI config I believe.

2. If you have to be CCA compliant you could connect Internet provider router on the LAN side of the UC540 and DHCP will point to the Internet router as default gateway for the Data vlan. Then connect the SIP provider router to the WAN port of the UC540 and make the UC540 default gateway for the voice vlan.

HTH,

Alex

thanks for the help i am no more confused!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: