Views
Helpful
Replies

two wifis in one interface?

aricardor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have a WLC CT-5508 and 25 AIR-LAP1040. The customer wants the access point gives two wifis, one private for voip, and one public for "public" access. And every wifi on a different vlan, if possible.

The questions are:

• How to assign the ip direction to AP, and the client?
  • How, o where, to create the vlan? In switch, in wlc?
  • Can it work in the management interface, or  i must create one more?
  • Sure I have a question more and now I dare not ask.

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

• I create two VLAN in switch (catalyst) where the AP and WLC are tagged, port by port, but Can one port in switch support two VLAN?
    • You can configure the port as trunk, which will support multiple VLANs.
  • I create two dynamic interface, with LAG enabled. Then no physical port is needed for configuration, and the message "not allowed two ap manager in the same port" not appear.
    • You dont need multiple ap-managers for controlling 2 Access Points
  • I create two DHCP Scope in the DHCP Server in the WLC, assigns 192.168.1.10-250 to VLAN1 and 192.168.5.10-250 to VLAN2 (differents addresses for each SSID), but What do IP address i write in the textbox in each interface? 192.168.1.1, 192.168.5.1 (VLANs addresses), or 10.168.10.100 (the IP address of Management port)
    • If the DHCP pools are created in the WLC, you will have to configure the interface with the WLC management IP as the DHCP server.
  • How can each VLAN acces to Internet?
    • For the clients to access the internet, do the routing in the switch/router and the natting in the firewall.
  • I don't create a AP group. All AP are in the default group.
  • How can each VLAN acces to Internet? Creating routes in WLC? in switch?

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Thank you!

I read your example and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml?referring_site=smartnavRD#c3

The network diagram shows two AP groups, and each group has its vlan. But my customer wants one AP group, and each AP broadcasts two SSID(two VLAN).

The 5508 WLC doesn't use ap-manager interface, only management.

Step by step:

-I create two interfaces to each VLAN, but i must assing the port 1 (phisical information), another port is not available. The first problem, the management interface use the port one, and not is possible use two interface with ap management in the same port. Do I disable the management interface? or, Should I use another port, such as 2, for vlan interfaces?

-DHCP. The customer has a DHCP server, but the customer wants each VLAN has own DHCP server, with differents ip addresses. The DHCP server of WLC can do it?

A greeting

Dear Antonio,

Let me know if I understood you correctly.

Your Customer wants 2 WLANs to be broadcasted in the air. Say for example. WLAN1 and WLAN2

You have only one port of the WLC connected to the network.

You need both the WLANs be mapped to separate VLANs, say for WLAN1 to VLAN1 and WLAN2 to VLAN2

Thanks

NikhiL

Dear NikhiL:

Yes, you understand me perfectly.

Maybe I have a second port available of the WLC,  but the customer decides whether or not I can use it.

I have only one port now.

But I don't know how to use the ports and configure differents interfaces, that's the great problem.

Thanks

Antonio R.

-I create two interfaces to each VLAN, but i must assing the port 1 (phisical information), another port is not available. The first problem, the management interface use the port one, and not is possible use two interface with ap management in the same port. Do I disable the management interface? or, Should I use another port, such as 2, for vlan interfaces?

You can use LAG (Link AGgregation). LAG on the switch makes all your physical ports on WLC considered as one big port. which is same as etherChannel on switches.

When you enable LAG on WLC the ports should be connected to ports that belongs to same etherchannel on the switch. Load balancing however can be done from one side which is the switch. WLC has nothing to do with load balancing.

Enabling LAG is done from WLC GUI -> Controller -> General. Reboot is needed for this to be activated.

After enabling LAG you will not have the option under the interface configuration to choose the physical port under "Physical information".

This link will help configuring LAG: http://tiny.cc/354ndw

You Can do DHCP server from WLC for two VLANs you have. create two scopes on WLC. From interfaces configuration put the management IP address as the primary DHCP server.

Because the interface IP address is different for both interfaces, based on that information the WLC can decide which DHCP pool to choose when your clients are connecting.

Hope this helps.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi!

is LAG compatible with VoIP, or Voice over WLAN?

Thank you!

Antonio R.

Your Customer wants 2 WLANs to be broadcasted in the air. Say for example. WLAN1 and WLAN2

You have only one port of the WLC connected to the network.

You need both the WLANs be mapped to separate VLANs, say for WLAN1 to VLAN1 and WLAN2 to VLAN2

If the above is your requirement, create two interfaces and map it to 2 WLANs as suggested in the first link, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805e7a24.shtml

It is recommended to use Management interface for WLC management and AP-management, while the dynamic interfaces created can be used for the WLANs

You wont require AP-Groups, as the default group can serve 2 WLANs.

AP groups are required only when you need  AP1 and AP2 broadcast WLAN1, 2, 3 while you have AP3 and AP4 to broadcast WLAN 4, 5,6

As suggested by Amjad, you can use LAG, as this will increase the speed and give redundancy for your WLC

Thanks

NikhiL

Hi, thank you!

I think I understood you:

• I create two VLAN in switch (catalyst) where the AP and WLC are tagged, port by port, but Can one port in switch support two VLAN?
  • I create two dynamic interface, with LAG enabled. Then no physical port is needed for configuration, and the message "not allowed two ap manager in the same port" not appear.
  • I create two DHCP Scope in the DHCP Server in the WLC, assigns 192.168.1.10-250 to VLAN1 and 192.168.5.10-250 to VLAN2 (differents addresses for each SSID), but What do IP address i write in the textbox in each interface? 192.168.1.1, 192.168.5.1 (VLANs addresses), or 10.168.10.100 (the IP address of Management port)

Sorry my poor English, I apologize for my ignorance also.

Thank you very much!

Antonio R.

• You can configure the port as trunk, which will support multiple VLANs.
    • You dont need multiple ap-managers for controlling 2 Access Points
    • If the DHCP pools are created in the WLC, you will have to configure the interface with the WLC management IP as the DHCP server.
    • For the clients to access the internet, do the routing in the switch/router and the natting in the firewall.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: