Is there a Cisco recommendation on max number of H-REAP APs to use per remote site

Unanswered Question
Apr 30th, 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a Cisco recommendation on the maximum number of H-REAP APs to be deployed per remote location.

I know there is no limitation as far as a controller is concerned, but is it advisable to have 20 - 30 H-REAP APs per remote location considering we have a  4mbps WAN link per site..

Also, I read that in a 5508 controller an H-REAP group will support only 25 APs per group. Is it really required to use H-REAP groups?, and will NOT using it have any effect on roaming while using 802.1x PEAP for client authentication.

Thank you,

Jino

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jino_jacob Mon, 04/30/2012 - 13:47

Thank you for the response Nikhil, But isn't that statement true only if using CCKM? or is true if using 802.1x PEAP as well?

nikhilcherian Mon, 04/30/2012 - 14:09

I agree with you,

As far roaming is considered, you need HREAP groups only if you are using fast-roaming, but in case you are using 802.1x PEAP authenticated using AP, you will need HREAP groups

jino_jacob Mon, 04/30/2012 - 14:19

Thank you for clarifying.

Still waiting to know if there is a Cisco recommendation on the maximum number of H-REAP APs to be deployed per remote location.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 04/30/2012 - 15:04
Still waiting to know if there is a Cisco recommendation on the maximum number of H-REAP APs to be deployed per remote location.

If I remembered correctly it was 512 kbps per WAP.

jino_jacob Mon, 04/30/2012 - 17:43

I did a lot of searching around and did not find the 512kbps per WAP recommendation documented anywhere.

With the available information, It is a tough decision to make whether to use HREAP or a Controller based solution.

Does using HREAP have serious performance issue while roaming using wireless voip phones?

Leo Laohoo Mon, 04/30/2012 - 17:53
I did a lot of searching around and did not find the 512kbps per WAP recommendation documented anywhere.

My notes are at home so I'll have to go and check this out.

Basically this depends entirely on what kind of network traffic the WAP is doing.  If it's simple emails, browse the web, scanner here/there, then I believe it's 512 kbps.  If you are talking about streaming video then that number is too low.

clarkvyborg Sat, 05/05/2012 - 15:25

I found this on the 5508 WLC Version 7.2 - H-REAP is now FlexConnect

There is no deployment restriction on the number of FlexConnect access points per location. However, the minimum bandwidth restriction remains 128 kbps with the roundtrip latency no greater than 300 ms and the maximum transmission unit (MTU) no smaller than 500 bytes.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted April 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Stats:
Replies:8 Avg. Rating:
Views:681 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard