Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANS on 1 switchport

femi.agboade
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a a hardware server running a VM hosting virtual servers which are all on different VLANs. My challenge now is to configure the switchport that the server is connected to, to see all the VLANs needed by this VM. The VM has an IP that is used for managing the server VMs which is on a different VLAN also.

My switch is a 2960 switch and it is presently trunked from the core switch.

Any suggestions please?!

Regards,

Femi

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to trunk the port that the VMWare server is connected to. I'm not a VMWare guy by any means, but I manage our switches at work. We have VMs that run off of trunk ports and the server team adds vlans to the trunk port. If you don't know how to do that piece, you may need to get in touch with VMWare to see if they can help you.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Ryan Wolfe
Level 5
Level 5

Just to caveat off of that, as far as I understand with VMware virtual machines, the virtual machines have something like a "virtual switch" built into them to do basic layer 2 functions. Like you said, each machine is on a different VLAN. So, in order for them to be able to tag there traffic specific for each VM, they must do it on there own because a switch can only tag data traffic unanimously on an interface. Since multiple VLANs coming into an access port will be ignored, you have to put the port into trunk mode.

I got that info from a VMware engineer on a tech conference whenever I was asking about virtualizing network devices.. So, it seems trustworthy.

HTH,

Ryan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to trunk the port that the VMWare server is connected to. I'm not a VMWare guy by any means, but I manage our switches at work. We have VMs that run off of trunk ports and the server team adds vlans to the trunk port. If you don't know how to do that piece, you may need to get in touch with VMWare to see if they can help you.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Ryan Wolfe
Level 5
Level 5

Just to caveat off of that, as far as I understand with VMware virtual machines, the virtual machines have something like a "virtual switch" built into them to do basic layer 2 functions. Like you said, each machine is on a different VLAN. So, in order for them to be able to tag there traffic specific for each VM, they must do it on there own because a switch can only tag data traffic unanimously on an interface. Since multiple VLANs coming into an access port will be ignored, you have to put the port into trunk mode.

I got that info from a VMware engineer on a tech conference whenever I was asking about virtualizing network devices.. So, it seems trustworthy.

HTH,

Ryan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks John and Ryan. Your comments were indeed very helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: