Views
Helpful
Replies

Two small issues with CSC

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dan and friends,

I have been experiencing two small glitches for a few months with CSC. Can someone confirm them please?

First, the RSS feeds no longer work unless I log in. Without logging into CSC, RSS feeds are not downloaded - my RSS feed reader (Brief plugin for Firefox) simply displays an exclamation mark and downloads nothing, as if the URL was not valid. Sadly, I cannot provide any more information as the communication is done via HTTPS, so the entire conversation between my browser and the RSS feeds at CSC is encrypted.

Second, I'm running Firefox 12.0 (actually, Iceweasel 12.0 under Debian which is just a rebranded Firefox because of licensing issues) and it no longer automatically fills in the stored login credentials when accessing the login page on CSC. I do not know if this is a change in the CSC behavior or if this is a Firefox bug but I wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

Dan, is this intended behavior? Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

I sent your latest message to our development team and they have identified the problem.  They will be working on a fix and it will be added to our queue for one of our upcoming releases.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

View solution in original post

Hi Peter,

The RSS feeds should now be working. Please let me know if are still having issues.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Daniel Bruhn
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Peter,

Let me check with IT and get back to you on these issues.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Peter

Daniel Bruhn
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Peter,

Spoke with some folks on our team and we haven't gotten any other feedback about RSS issues.  I tested the RSS feeds and they seem to be working for me.  It might be your RSS feed plugin.  Is it possible to try a different one? 

I did find out there was a change made to the CCO login that may have caused your login to no longer auto-populate.  At this time I don't know if they have a fix for this.  If I hear more I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hello Dan,

Regarding the RSS feed, I have tested the following RSS feed reader plugins: Brief, Sage, Bamboo, NewsFox under Linux-based Firefox. No change - if I do not log into CSC, all these readers claim a problem downloading the following feed URLs:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/feeds/messages?community=2003 (LAN)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/feeds/messages?community=2002 (WAN)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/feeds/messages?community=2046 (MPLS)

The Sage plugin actually exhibited an interesting behavior: the first URL was downloaded properly on the first attempt. The second and third URL were not downloaded and Sage reported a XML Parse Error. Subsequent downloading of the first URL produced a XML Parse Error as well.

I understand that this problem report is unusually vague - it basically tells only that "it doesn't work" which is not my style. Sadly, all these URLs are HTTPS-based (when using HTTP, a redirection to HTTPS-based location is issued) so I can't verify what is being downloaded. In addition, neither of these plugins actually allows me to debug it so I am stuck.

Please note that in order to verify this issue, it is imperative to be completely logged out from all Cisco websites and locations, and ideally, test it using a new Firefox profile instance that has never been used to log into any Cisco website.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Dan,

I believe I can provide a little more update about the RSS issue after all.

I have checked the error console in Firefox, and was surprised to see that when my RSS feed reader - me of course being logged out from CSC - tried to fetch the feeds, the Error Console reported this error:

Error: not well-formed

Source File: https://supportforums.cisco.com/cisco-terms!input.jspa?successURL=https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/feeds/messages?community=2003&termsDocId=DOC-5991&userKey=termsAndConditions.acceptedDate&sessionKey=mustAcceptTerms

Line: 35, Column: 32

Source Code:

for (var i = 0; i < safeTopUrls.length; i++) {

Note that the URL actually points to the Acceptable Use Agreement form!

It seems that if a user is not logged in, accessing a RSS feed URL leads to displaying the Usage Terms Agreement. I have verified this by running a plain Firefox in a clean profile without any RSS plugins whatsoever - simply by entering the LAN Switching&Routing section at CSC and then clicking on the "View feeds" link at

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/feeds?community=2003

Immediately, the Acceptable Use Agreement form was displayed - even though I was not logged in - and in order to actually see the feeds list, I had to agree to this form. Only then the feed list was displayed.

It seems that there is something wrong regarding the redirection to the updated Acceptable Use Agreement form. First of all, RSS feeds should not be redirected to that form at all - even if required, a RSS reader cannot possibly render the Acceptable Use Agreement form to the user so there is no point in confusing RSS readers by this form. Second, an anonymous (i.e. not-logged-in) user should not be presented with the Acceptable Use Agreement form at all, as the fact that he/she accepted it can not be associated with his/her profile, and storing it as a cookie is prone to erasing it sooner or later.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I sent your latest message to our development team and they have identified the problem.  They will be working on a fix and it will be added to our queue for one of our upcoming releases.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just wanted to follow up and let you know the RSS feed fix will be in our June release.  Our monthly releases are normally at the end of each month.

Thanks again for letting us know about the issue.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you for keeping me informed. I just wonder - has the fix been implemented already? It's July 16th, and I am still experiencing the same issues with the RSS feeds without any change.

I also wonder if the pre-population of stored passwords will be re-enabled in future. Not that I am so lazy in entering my credentials (well, perhaps a little ) but the truth is that the single sign-on is not really working across Cisco sites. I have to login multiple times as I cross through CSC, CLN, Cisco webpages and documentation... and once you need to do that multiple times a day every day, it starts getting annoying.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to say the fix has not been implemented yet.  This bug has now been set as a high priority and should be included in our August release.

As for the pre-populated passwords mine seem to work now.  I know you are a Firefox user but can you give IE a try and see if it works? 

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

You ROCK Dan +5

Cheers!

Huff

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hi Peter,

The RSS feeds should now be working. Please let me know if are still having issues.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hello Dan,

I can confirm that the issue with RSS feeds has been corrected. The auto-population of the stored username/password appears to work in MSIE but it does not work in Firefox, probably due to "autocomplete=no" attributes used in the login form.

Thanks so much for looking into this!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links