cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

time based policy

apkothiyal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, I have configured policies to shape the traffic on the interface of cisco 7206 router. Now my managemet wants to configure these policies on time based ie policy should be applicable during specified time period onle. Is it possible? if yes how to configure it?

Please help.                 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can do it depending on how your class maps are set up. If you're classifying traffic with an acl, you can create a time range and then apply that time range to your acl. Let's say that you want to shape web traffic between the hours of 8am and 10am, but anytime after that is not shaped and has 100% of the link:

time-range Web

periodic 08:00 to 10:00

ip access-list ext Web

permit tcp any any eq 80 time-range Web

class-map Web

match access-group name Web

policy-map Web

class Web

shape average 128000

class class-default

int s0/0

service-policy output Web

This would shape their traffic only between those hours.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Yes. You can use the time range anywhere an acl can be used as far as I know...

John

Please rate all useful posts...

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can do it depending on how your class maps are set up. If you're classifying traffic with an acl, you can create a time range and then apply that time range to your acl. Let's say that you want to shape web traffic between the hours of 8am and 10am, but anytime after that is not shaped and has 100% of the link:

time-range Web

periodic 08:00 to 10:00

ip access-list ext Web

permit tcp any any eq 80 time-range Web

class-map Web

match access-group name Web

policy-map Web

class Web

shape average 128000

class class-default

int s0/0

service-policy output Web

This would shape their traffic only between those hours.

HTH,

John

thanks dear for support, can i use time range in rate limit also?

Yes. You can use the time range anywhere an acl can be used as far as I know...

John

Please rate all useful posts...

Dear I ahve applied the policy as stated but i am facing some problem, Some time policy does not get started autometically at the specified time. and not gets stoped at the  configured time.

I have to remove and apply policy on interface to take effect.

following is the configuration i have done.

time-range wimx
periodic daily 7:00 to 17:30

access-list 115 permit ip any any time-range wimax

class-map wimax
  match access-group 115

policy-map wimax
  class wimax
    police cir 200000000 bc 31250000 be 31250000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop violate-action drop
  class class-default

I am using cisco 7206 router running c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD5 ios.

Please help.....

If I'm understanding you right, does the policy only work during the time if you remove it and then reapply it? What time does the local clock say on the router? Is it correct? ("sh clock") When you look at the access-list during the time that it's not working, does the access-list say "Inactive"? Are you wanting to police the traffic inbound during this time? If so, you could change your direction on the interface to "service-policy input wimax". Otherwise, you may need to look for bugs in the OS that you have or upgrade the OS as a test.

Dear following is the observation.

I mean if the policy applied on the interface it starts activated and some time even after beyond end time policy did not go to default. when i checked the show time-range and show access-list 115, both setting shows inactive.system clock is showing the correct time. but i have applied policy in both direction in and out. is it becose of this?

If the time is showing inactive during the time that it should be active, I'd look into updating the OS. There could be a bug. You can apply the policy in and outbound with no issues. When the ACL is inactive, it shouldn't match on the class. I'm going to lab this up and get back with you....

On the version that I'm running, it works fine. Maybe update IOS?

ok dear thanks, let me check and i will update u.

bythe way which ios u have tested it.

I did this in GNS with a 3745:

3700 Software (C3745-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: