students unable to join wireless with personal laptops in BYOD environment

Unanswered Question
May 2nd, 2012

I have a WLC 5508, AIR-LAP1142N APs and a SSID for students to connect to who bring their own device. I am still testing this and it has not been rolled out but I am running into some serious issues with joining the network. I am authenticating them through a RADIUS server (2008 R2). Problem: many of them cannot connect because they are lacking the certificate. If they have an Apple product it works without issues.

Questions:

1. What is a good setup for authentication in a BYOD environment

2. If my setup is good what can I do to allow kids to use their computers on the wireless either without the certificate (which I know is unlikely) or what do I need to have them do to connect. I am hoping it does not involve hard wiring and getting the certificate from the server.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
blakekrone Wed, 05/02/2012 - 10:49

What are the setups for the Windows based machines? I'm assuming the RADIUS certificate you are talking about is the self signed certificate setup to enable PEAP authentication? When you setup the wireless profile they should be able to connect and just not verify the RADIUS certificate. You could also get a trusted certificate to use for your EAP-PEAP setup, this way the CA is already trusted on the students laptop.

BYOD environments are tricky, but EAP-PEAP should be perfectly acceptable and easy to use.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Stats:
Replies:1 Avg. Rating:5
Views:701 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard