cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple 3750x IP Base to IP Services Question

mparella
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading my 3750x stack from IP Base to IP Services in order to enable L3 for EIGRP routing.  I am doing this in two stages - image upgrade on one day, configuring EIGRP a week later.  My question is when I upgrade my image, will there be any commands in my current config that are deprecated when I move to IP Services?  Do I need to be concerned with any reconfiguration post-upgrade to ensure my existing environment stays up?

Will Rate Post.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question is when I upgrade my image, will there be any commands in my current config that are deprecated when I move to IP Services?

No.  It's better to save your config on the switch and onto a TFTP server before you upgrade the IOS.  I have done IOS upgrades and feature set upgrades (not feature set downgrades) and the commands are still the same.  With an upgrade, you're mostly going to see MORE sub-commands.

Do I need to be concerned with any reconfiguration post-upgrade to ensure my existing environment stays up?

There is no harm in doing "sanity checks" after the reboot.  It goes with the territory.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Leo describes, upgrading the feature set adds commands (for the additional features).  Everything should function as it did with no other configuration changes unless besides upgrading the feature set you change the IOS version.  If you also retain the same IOS version, but change even the patch level, there shouldn't be any configuration changes but actual behavior of the IOS might change for you.

NB: if you're running a later universal IOS, which you probably are on the 3750X, you don't need to load a different IOS, as it's all there.  Feature upgrade is done via a license upgrade.

Joe is correct you will have to buy the license to upgrade.  Can't just download a different code anymore. They all run a single code version  that encompasses everything and you activate features by buying licenses and they will give the codes to activate the licenses. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card