cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 and HP Virtual Connect

jramirez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a scenario where a Nexus 5548UP is connected to an HP Vrtual Connect. Communication is in Fibre Channel 4 Gbps because 8 Gbps has works with many many errors. The HP tech support peaple has indicated a problem in the8 Gbps FC Nexus implementation. Is there really any issue  to placing this solution in 8Gbps?

Thanks

Pablo

4 Replies 4

jdewberr-bt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi jramirez,

Do you have an archive or screen shot of the error you were incurring when your HP Virtual Connect was linked via 8G FC?

Thanks!

JD

vdsudame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

we do support 8gig with hpvc. please open a tac case on this as iwe will need to investigate further ...

more information on the problem pablo is referring to:

Cisco nexus uses IDLE instead of ARB(FF) transmission [like in MDS & brocade switches ].This could be causing decode errors on VC modules and the established link will be down after certain period of time, not sure on that part though. I guess this problem happens with 8gb only. With 4gig the issue is not observed.

http://www.hitachi-storage.com/content/fill-words-what-are-those-what-do-they-do-and-why-are-they-needed

Vin.

Thanks for the input.

I have read the attached information. Looks like the root of the problem.

How can I check for this situation. Is any log or fabric manager tool can report this kind of issue ? Just to be sure that this is the root of the issue.

Are any alternative to fix it ?. What do I need to answer to HP support people in order to match criteria.

Many many thanks

Pablo.

typically there will be server disconnects at 8gig. so loosing flogi and server loosing connection to storage are typical symptoms. this is a limitation as far as 55xx platform is concerned and there is nothing to fix from cisco side. please check with HP for further details if they can modify the behavior so as to be compliant with Cisco 55xx.

Vinayak

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: