cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do Fiber Converters pass multiple Vlans?

stephen.phelps
Level 1
Level 1

On one end I have a Cisco 2960 using a fiber to ethernet converter going to a Cisco Small Business SFE2010P with fiber to ethernet converter.  I can get either of my vlan's to work but I can't get both.  

Is there something basic in the converters that is causing the problems?

It feels like I have tried every combination of trunking on my 2 connecting ports on both switches. 

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fiber to copper converter doesn't have anything to do with vlans.  If you have multiple vlans between the switches, than you need to make the link a trunk link with .1q encapsulation.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
On one end I have a Cisco 2960 using a fiber to ethernet converter going to a Cisco Small Business SFE2010P with fiber to ethernet converter.  I can get either of my vlan's to work but I can't get both. 

"fibre converters" or media converts what traffic traversers the unit.  It's a layer one.

I'm no expert with the model of switch you are using but if you are trying to pass two (or more) VLANs can you ensure the switch supports multiple VLANs?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should work  , must be a config issue . Look up on how to trunk both devices using search .  The media converter would have no bearing on the link being able to trunk .

=

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: