cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with an old Cisco Aironet 1100 (AP1121G-E-K9)

alain.montfranc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to "resurect" an old wireless network made with Cisco Aironet 1100. One of the AP has lost its IOS (due to an error while trying to upgrade it through the web interface)

I tried to reload it with the "mode button". I can see in my TFTP server logs that the AP is downloading the IOS but nothing happens and the AP keep beeing stucked (leds are : red/green/red)

Could somebody help me to understand what's going wrong and to make it work again ?

Thx in advance

JS

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the WAP and post the entire bootup process.

Hi

I can't see any console pôrt, only the ethernet one. Shall I open the AP ?

Just a short followup : I opened the AP. The a 5 PIN connector that could be a serial link but I don't know the pinout. Anyone knows ?

Just out of curiousity which lights are Red, Green, Red. Do the all three show red, then green, then red?

Access the CLI through Telnet or SSH. There is a good sectio showing this in the admin guide:

Cisco Aironet 1100 Series Access Point Installation and Configuration Guide

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

The 3 leds are respectively red, green and red. There are not bliniking

As the AP does not boot (I think) so it has no IP, thus no telnet :-(

Any idea anybody ?

ethernet : RED

radio   : RED

Means NO CISCO IOS file

Check the following link that contains detailed description of LEDs :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1100/installation/guide/1100hig6_book.pdf

You need to try again by following the steps:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Set the timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 seconds.

Step 4 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View; then uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types check box.

Step 5 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 6 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 7 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 8 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 10 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 11 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

If it didn't work with you given that we have no console access to jump inside and have access to ROMON you need to open TAC case and have RMA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Don't forget to rate correct answers

In fact when opening the Aironet 1100 Series, my model is the AIR-AP1121G-A-K9, there is a 5-pin connector (HD2), which provevelmente is an RS-232 interface, console port. Does anyone know the pinout of these five pins? I've tried this method TFTP in several ways described in this and other forum, but without success, but I think it may be easier with the internal console port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: