Views
Helpful
Replies

What exactly is wiring closet?

vipinrajrc
Level 3
Level 3

Dear Experts,

can anyone tell me what exactly is "WIRING closet". I have heard this term in many books.

Thanks

Vipin

Thanks and Regards, Vipin
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

not sure what you mean, but i would call it physical.

In a lot of cases the places were the acces switches are put, really are not bigger than a regular closet in a corridor of a building.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

this would be the place (s) where the acces switches are situated.

Here in holland we sometimes call it the "broom closet".

Hi Ton,

Thanks for the reply.

Its a physical term or logincal term?

Thanks

Vipin

Hi

not sure what you mean, but i would call it physical.

In a lot of cases the places were the acces switches are put, really are not bigger than a regular closet in a corridor of a building.

Ok i understand

Thanks man

You re welcome!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's literally the closet with all the wiring.  I.e. generally where all the user data and/or telecom wiring is found; the local area wiring hub.  For data, it's also generally were the edge access ports are found (which in turn uplink to another device, often found somewhere else).

These closets generally are kept locked.  If not, the actual devices within them are often found in a cage that's locked.

Another term that's related is "IDF", but that denotes more the function than the physical location.  I.e. user edge devices might even be found in a data center.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco