1140 or 3500 AP?

Unanswered Question
May 3rd, 2012

We are deploying a new office and exploring the options for WLAN deployment. We were pretty impressed with 3500 series APs and that it supports CleanAir.

However, we have decided to go for standalone AP deployment model now. As 3500 does not work in standalone mode, so we are looking for APs that can work in standalone mode ( and later can be converted to lightweight if needed). We can go for 1140 in that case. However, it would be better for us to know the main differences between features supported by 3500 lightweight AP and 1140 standalone AP. CleanAir looks like the main one. Are there other important ones as well?

Thanks,

Kashish

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Thu, 05/03/2012 - 15:15
We are deploying a new office and exploring the options for WLAN deployment. We were pretty impressed with 3500 series APs and that it supports CleanAir.

Then I presume you haven't met the 3500's newer brother, the 3600.

Both the 3500 and the 3600 support CleanAir when combined with a wireless LAN controller (WLC).  If you want to make this into an autonomous WAP, then it's possible BUT:  1)  TAC won't support you; and 2)  You won't have the benefit of CleanAir.

If you want to convert the 3500/3600 into autonomous then it's best getting a 1140 instead, HOWEVER, what's your plan in the future?  I mean, I seriously doubt you'll operate your wireless network without a controller for the entire duration.  What I'm trying to say, if your organization was planning to "test" the concept of wireless in your organization then get, say, the cheaper 1130 or 1040 to test with.  Then "pump up the jam" when management is more confident with the outcome (or decides to get serious with wireless LAN deployment which will include a WLC).

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 3, 2012 at 5:56 AM
Stats:
Replies:2 Avg. Rating:
Views:810 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard