cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Placement & Egress method

patelvc7601
Level 1
Level 1

We have Cisco WAAS deployed Our Enviornment.

We are using wccp gre as return & redirection method.

We are using the default egress method which is IP forwarding with of all our offsite routers.

Our smaller site Offsite routers are configured as LAN on stick / SVI terminated on the router.

While Large Site is configured with access/Distribution Layer architecture where SVI is terminated on L3 Switches/3750

& they have point to point routed connection to WAN Edge Router .

Can I still use the my default egress method for Ip forwarding?

Sincerely,

Viral Patel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

See again some more detail is needed from point of redirection.

lets take example for your own setup, if all client vlan (SVI on l3 switch) traffic, going out via that WAN router needed to be redirected, then you can place the WAE on seperate VLAN on L3 and do redirection for all user LAN interfaces and interface connected towards WAN router. This is a simple setup and doing redirection on Switch will help as it will be done in H/w. In this case you can have IP forwarding as egress method.

But now take example that there multiple WAN links on the same router. And you want traffic going only to one particular site (via one of the WAN link only) to be optimized, then its good to do redirection on router. But for this WAE has to be a L2 neighbor to router (may via a fre router interface or router on stick). but if that is not possible and WAE has to remain at switch with HOP away from router then we have no other option but to GRE (both redirection and forwarding)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

gaursin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

its not very clear which deployment you are using for your small site, as you have said you are doing router on stick for VLAN,s then you can create one more vlan for WAE and one more subinterface on router for this WAE, this will bring WAE out of path between LAN clients and server and default egress i.e. IP forwarding can be used.

so main thing for IP forwarding as egress method is that WAE should not fall in the direct path between real web client and real web server other wise loop will be created.

hi Gaurav

I appreciate your response.I will try to put the topology in following line.

L2 Access SW====>L3 SW/SVI Terminated======> WAN/Router =====WAN LINK===>

Unlike smaller site where default gateway for different vlans is on the Router with bigger site this is on L3 /3750 Switches & from there I have routed link to WAN router. I am trying to find the where should be the placement for the WAAS in this scenario & if I can use default ip forwarding egress method or not.

Sincerely

Viral

See again some more detail is needed from point of redirection.

lets take example for your own setup, if all client vlan (SVI on l3 switch) traffic, going out via that WAN router needed to be redirected, then you can place the WAE on seperate VLAN on L3 and do redirection for all user LAN interfaces and interface connected towards WAN router. This is a simple setup and doing redirection on Switch will help as it will be done in H/w. In this case you can have IP forwarding as egress method.

But now take example that there multiple WAN links on the same router. And you want traffic going only to one particular site (via one of the WAN link only) to be optimized, then its good to do redirection on router. But for this WAE has to be a L2 neighbor to router (may via a fre router interface or router on stick). but if that is not possible and WAE has to remain at switch with HOP away from router then we have no other option but to GRE (both redirection and forwarding)

Hi Gaurav,

In another words, If I use GRE as egress method than WAE can be multiple hop away .

Sincerely

Viral

yes with GRE u can do that...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: