cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect 3.0 Profile drop-down list

Jacob Gibb
Level 1
Level 1

Working as a consultant I find it annoying I cannot see a drop-down list in the AnyConnect client as you can with the traditional IPSEC VPN client with multiple profiles. Has anyone found out how to modify the default profile to list multiple entries?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can build your own profiles. They are quite simple for a basic profile. Here is an example:

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/">

____your host name here____

___the host's outside IP interface address here____

IPsec

Once built, put those individual .xml files in:

%ProgramData%\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

...for Windows 7. (Note that %ProgramData% is a hidden directory by default. You may need to modify your display options to see it.)

A full list of where they would go for other OS types is in the Anyconnect Admin Guide, Table 2-15.

All the profiles installed thus should appear in your AnyConnect client drop down list.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will see multiple entries if the profiles (.xml files) are downloaded (from the multiple ASA-based remote access VPNs you access (or installed manually)) into your AnyConnect installation.

The ASA needs to be setup with the IPSec profile.xml file. Once multiple ones are downloaded to your computer (usually automatically by virtue of logging in) you should see the drop down list in your AnyConnect client allowing you to choose from among them.

This becomes the problem. Not all customers have customized .xml profiles with their associated groups. I'm curious if there is some other method of manually modifying my local profile file (like the vpnclient.ini in traditional ipsec vpn client) to keep a list even if I have to manually add it. I have over 35 independant entries in the original Cisco IPSEC client. It's frustrating to say the least. 

You can build your own profiles. They are quite simple for a basic profile. Here is an example:

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/">

____your host name here____

___the host's outside IP interface address here____

IPsec

Once built, put those individual .xml files in:

%ProgramData%\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

...for Windows 7. (Note that %ProgramData% is a hidden directory by default. You may need to modify your display options to see it.)

A full list of where they would go for other OS types is in the Anyconnect Admin Guide, Table 2-15.

All the profiles installed thus should appear in your AnyConnect client drop down list.

That did it! Now I have multiple entries in the drop-down list of the Anyconnect client. Thanks for the help!

Excellent. Glad that worked for you - it actually it helped me as well to research it - I did the same thing for a client's non-xml-profiled connection.

Note that the may need to be changed from "IPsec" to "SSL" for profiles without IPSec enabled and configured on the ASA.

My problem is the opposite. In testing different any connect profiles, I have a few that are no longer being used still showing up in the drop down box in my computer. How can I removed the unwanted profiles from my computer?

Just delete the .XML file(s) in the Profiles folder ("%ProgramData%\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile" in Windows 7) that you no longer want. You will have to restart the AnyConnect client after adding or deleting profiles in order for them to show up (or not show up) in the pull-down list.

See previous posts above by Marvin Rhoads for details on what field(s) in the XML file are of interest or where to find the profile folder where the XML files are stored.

Hello - I found this profile to actually work with post 8.3 versions of ASA.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<AnyConnectProfile xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/">;
  <ServerList>
    <HostEntry>
      <HostName>VPN2</HostName>
      <HostAddress>VPN2 ADDRESS</HostAddress>
    </HostEntry>
  </ServerList>
</AnyConnectProfile>

Hi,

I am observing an issue.

I placed the .XML file for a new profile at the location below:

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

I don't see the profile in the drop down. I restarted the client and the PC.

Please help...

Hi,

I am observing an issue.

I placed the .XML file for a new profile at the location below:

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

I don't see the profile in the drop down. I restarted the client and the PC.

Please help...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card