Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network: OSPF or EIGRP ?

Hello,

Our network have remote branch, the networks are routing with OSPF and RIP (you can see the design in the scheme number 1)

We are going to add a Core and, the branches will be connected with fiber (see scheme number 2):

- 10 Gb between the 2 cores

- 1 Gb between the branches and core

In your Opinion, what is the best way to connect/route the branches/cores

- Between cores: for me 802.1Q as the two cores will have same vlans

- But between core/branches and branches/branches: OSPF or 802.1Q

Is is necessary to break the actual OSFP / RIP ?

I think to create a new vlan X, connect all the branches in this new vlan in mode access, and declare OSPF on each switch...

Thanks for your ideas,

Regards,

Gerald

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you are running OSPF, you can just use /30 IP subnets between each segment and put all your devices in one area (area 0).  No need for 802.1q.  The only place you may need 802.1q is connecting to your access switches if you have multiple vlans on them.  Also, why are you using RIP at the same time with OSPF on all your routers.  No need for 2 protocols.

HTH

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact Rip is used by partners. The network is more complicated than that

For Ospf we need to secure each branch with the new fiber, but we must keep the actual Ospf so we have to keep 10.1.0.0 /16 on each branch.

Do we have to create new subnet between each segment example 10.2.xx or subnet of 10.1.0.0/16 as 10.1.1.x/30 ?

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Gérald

Hello,

I have worked on 3 scenarii:

1- /30 ip segment between branches on the fiber, same area as MPLS

2- /30 ip segment between branches on the fiber, but different area from MPLS

3- /30 ip segment between branches on the fiber, but EIGRP, lower cost so we will use Gb segment instead of MPLS

You will find the topology below

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,

Gerald,

Hello,

Just a little to have your point of view

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Gérald

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card