cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W Port Forwarding Still Broken in 1.2.0.9 Firmware

danhstevens
Level 1
Level 1

I installed firmware version 1.2.0.9 a couple weeks ago after seeing in the release notes that the port forwarding bug where clients would get 'no route to host' was resolved (one of the original posts found here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3512354).

After installing the firmware and confirming it's running I've seen no improvement. I still must reboot my router 2-3 times daily so clients can access the ports that are defined in the port forwarding module.

Please take another look at this - the issue is not resolved and as far as I can tell it hasn't even been improved. Please also let me know of any beta firmwares - anything to put this issue to bed. It's been going on far too long.

44 Replies 44

itcconcepts
Level 1
Level 1

We have had the same experience, RV110W now back in its box.

chchapma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you upgraded the firmware from 1.0.1.9 to 1.2.0.9 did you perform a full factory reset using the hardware reset button on the back of the router?  If you have not performed a hard reset of the RV110W after upgrading to v1.2.0.9, it is strongly recommended that you reset the device by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds to ensure the device is completely reset.  This will ensure the configuration is erased and you are working from the default config based on the new 1.2.0.9 firmware image.  We have tested the RV110W against this issue and we have routers running for the last 30+ days with port forwarding working correctly.  If you cannot get it working consistently after the hard reset then please open a case with the SBSC TAC so we can begin the process of getting all of you network topology and router information.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

Instead of configuring port forwarding rules, configure Access Rules. Once the setting has saved you will see your new rule under port forwarding.

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

I'm also having this problem, even after upgrading to 1.2.0.9.  I lose Remote Management at the same time, so I always have to call the site to have someone restart the router.

I'm trying the Access Rules approach now.  The lack of response  from chchapma to the last post makes me think it took care of things for him. I'm wondering if it will cure the Remote Management failure also?

Bruce,

What port are you using for remote management? If you are using a non-standard port for remote management this could cause a problem. Typically the routers are managed on 443, 60443, 80, or 8080. If are using one of the 4 ports previously mentioned and are still having problems, I would suggest calling 1.866.606.1866 to open a support ticket.

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

Yes, I generally use a different port to reduce exposure to port

scanning. Is this related to the port-forwarding bug?

Bruce

Is anyone from Cisco actually working on this ? I'm fed up with rebooting the router every hour, and doing so for the last 2 months is not helping me being any less frustrated. I would really appreciate if someone at least replied to a post in over a year. And no, access rules are not a resolution to a fix you implemented in the router and is not working like it should. I did not buy this router to change rdp ports on 25 workstations. It's really a shame because everything else on the router is working perfectly and i'm really happy with it....just let people know you're either working on it or can't fix it so we can return the faulty gear and move to something that actually works.

Regards,

Miro

From my previous post from 5/7/12:

"When you upgraded the firmware from 1.0.1.9 to 1.2.0.9 did you perform a  full factory reset using the hardware reset button on the back of the  router?  If you have not performed a hard reset of the RV110W after  upgrading to v1.2.0.9, it is strongly recommended that you reset the  device by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds to ensure the  device is completely reset.  This will ensure the configuration is  erased and you are working from the default config based on the new  1.2.0.9 firmware image.  We have tested the RV110W against this issue  and we have routers running for the last 30+ days with port forwarding  working correctly.  If you cannot get it working consistently after the  hard reset then please open a case with the SBSC TAC so we can begin the  process of getting all of you network topology and router information.   Please keep us posted on your progress."

Actually I did a hard reset *before* the firmware upgrade.  Following the upgrade I restored the configuration from a backup file.

Additionally, using a defined Access Rule without the corresponding Port Forward results in no port forwarding at all.   Use of both together has had me running for 2+ weeks now.  Promising, but not yet conclusive.

Yes i did perform a full factory reset using the button at the back of the device. Tried to define access rules (which don't allow me to configure different external ports to same internal ones), and it doesnt work either. I'm planning on replacing the router with a linksys WRT160N with dd-wrt firmware which allows me do what i want and works like it should.

Recently tried the 110W again (it was the only box I had available).

A hardware reset, followed by simple configuration with static IP and 5 port forwarding rules - ran for 4 days before SMTP communication on port 25 stopped. A reboot bought it back to life.

Back in its box, again.

John

Following up: I have had two boxes running for a month with no problem. One is as described above with 1.2.0.9, but the other still has 1.1.0.9 with the same configuration that gave me trouble in the first unit.  The one common change I made to the two was to change the remote management port from a high port to 443.  Seems like the non-standard remote management port uses port forwarding internally, and triggers the firmware bug somehow.

Further followup - a few days ago the problem occurred on the 1.2.0.9 system.  So it was some 6-7 weeks between problems.

These two installations were the pilot locations for a larger rollout.  Unfortunately they have failed the pilot test and I now have to find a suitable alternate.

Have you talked to Cisco and are they in works on a firmware update for this model. I have issues with being able to get email inbound and remote management working with 1.2.0.9 and have done a factory reset after reconfiguring.  It seems my device needs rebooted every 6 weeks and nothing appears in the logs.  I am about to just tell my client ASA5505 is the way to go.  Small Business support has already replaced the unit and i am convinced it is a bug in the firmware.  I do have about 4 other clients with these devices and no problems and they also run SBS 2008 and 2011 servers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: