Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection V8 HA DRS

iwearing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can somebody confirm that DRS backups in a HA cluster should backup both Publisher and Subscriber.

I can run DRS on the HA Pub which backs up the Publisher but fails to backup the HA Subscriber. A manual backup of the HA subscriber is also successful.

Should DRS only be scheduled on the Pub which backsup both servers?

thanks

Ian.                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ian,

These need to be set up separately

IE; Pub from Pub & Sub from Sub

CSCts22450 - UC 8.5(1)-DRS backup of Subscriber is failing from Publisher node

Description

Symptom:

Unable to take the backup of SUB components from PUB.

Error: Unable to contact server. Master or Local Agent could be down.

If subscriber is backed up from subscriber node, there are no issues.

Conditions:

UC cluster

Workaround:

Backup's should be taken by logging into DRS page of PUB and SUB separtely.

This behaviour is different from CUCM.

In Unity Connection, LA and MA services are independent on publisher and subscriber node. Thus it is not possible to take backup of subscriber node from the publisher.

Check the TAC workaround to remove the registration of SUB components on PUB to avoid the errors later on.

Details

First Found in:                          (1)

Terminated

Last Modified:

Apr 25,2012

Product:

Cisco Unity Connection

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

3 - moderate

Cheers!

Rob

"Everything is broken" - Bob Dylan

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ian,

We do both in our cluster Here's a note from the DRS Guide;

Note When a Cisco Unity Connection cluster is configured, we recommend that you back up the publisher server and, optionally, the subscriber server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/drs_administration/guide/8xcucdrsag.html#wp108165

Cheers!

Rob

RobDavid,

Thanks for the replies.

Please see the screenshot when I run a backup on the Connection Publisher. I see the above error "Unable to contact server, Master or local agent could be down" against the subscriber.

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can configure DRS separately on each server.  I would just recommend that you have a separate backup path for each (e.g., /backups/pub, /backups/sub).

Since it is an active-active cluster model, it may be helpful to take a look at the following as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/drs_administration/guide/8xcucdrsag.html#wp109111

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hailey,

Always great to see another fine answer from you here +5

Cheers!

Huff

Rob/David,

Thanks for the replies.

Please see the screenshot when I run a backup on the connection Publisher. I see the above error

"Unable to contact server, Master or local agent could be down" against the subscriber.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ian,

These need to be set up separately

IE; Pub from Pub & Sub from Sub

CSCts22450 - UC 8.5(1)-DRS backup of Subscriber is failing from Publisher node

Description

Symptom:

Unable to take the backup of SUB components from PUB.

Error: Unable to contact server. Master or Local Agent could be down.

If subscriber is backed up from subscriber node, there are no issues.

Conditions:

UC cluster

Workaround:

Backup's should be taken by logging into DRS page of PUB and SUB separtely.

This behaviour is different from CUCM.

In Unity Connection, LA and MA services are independent on publisher and subscriber node. Thus it is not possible to take backup of subscriber node from the publisher.

Check the TAC workaround to remove the registration of SUB components on PUB to avoid the errors later on.

Details

First Found in:                          (1)

Terminated

Last Modified:

Apr 25,2012

Product:

Cisco Unity Connection

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

3 - moderate

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for such a detailed response to my query. This was really useful.

Ian.

I remember coming across this issue as well.
One thing I wanted to add, is if you back up both, you may want to back up to different directories (folders). Initially I configured both CUC servers to pretty much use identical back up devices (which pointed to the same folder). I had both backup devices scheduled to keep 3 copies. So the servers were overwriting eachother's backups (i.e. at any given time, we would only have 1 and a half backups). So if you want 3 copies, either direct them to different folders or increase the "Number of backups to store on Network Directory"  to 6 on each server's BD.

Can anyone clarify what "Check the TAC workaround to remove the registration of SUB components on PUB to avoid the errors later on." means or includes?

I have a situation similar to jwearing's screenshot above, where the a client occasionally gets a "Unable to contact server, Master or local agent could be down" but where only the local server appears on the list (DRS from the PUB shows only PUB server name and DRS from the SUB shows only SUB server name).

I imagine something on each server is still referencing / registering to the other.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: