cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC-2FXS not recognized in 3725??

t_bennett
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a Cisco 3725 router in my home lab as the PSTN.  I have a VIC-2FXS that I was trying to use on one of the three WIC slots however when typing a "sh run", "sh diag", or "sh ver" the 2 FXS ports do not show up.

I do have an NM-HDV module with the VWIC-2MFT-T1-DI in it, and its showing up in the config.  I havent tried putting the VIC-2FXS in the NM-HDV yet because, according to Cisco docs, the VIC-2FXS is supported on the 3 WIC slots.  I upgraded the IOS to Advanced Enterprise from IP VOICE and that did nothing.  I also have 4x PVDM12 on the NM-HDV module and the AIM-VOICE-30 installed on the motherboard.

On the 3700s, do they support VIC cards on the onboard slots?  Or do you have to put them on a NM-HDV module? 

Side Note: The LEDs are showing amber on the VIC-2FXS so I dont believe its defective.

Thanks

EDIT:  Thanks everyone, so the answer is No, its not supported on the 3725 natively (onboard WIC slots) and even on an NM-HDV, BUT you can buy a cheap NM-V1 or NM-V2 and it works. 

Best scenario if you are using one as a PSTN switch, the NM-2V and (2) VIC-2FXS is the cheapest way to go.  You still have the bottom slot for the NM-HDV for staging PVDMs (no onboard PVDM slots) and 1 or 2 T1/E1/PRI cards and 2 on-board AIM slots to support the AIM-30-VOICE DSPs.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

HI

You will need NM-1V or NM-2V module to support voice cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_tech_note09186a0080094ac0.shtml

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts by clicking stars bewlo the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

Hi

As said, you will require NM-1V or NM-2V to make VIC-2FXS work with 3725. You cant insert it in other card and expect it to be detected.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

HI

You will need NM-1V or NM-2V module to support voice cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_tech_note09186a0080094ac0.shtml

Regards

Ronak Patel

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HI

It is supported.

If you see the table and check 3700 column. It says  VIC-2FXS is supported on 3700 router with all the version.

Regards

Ronak Patel

I just put the VIC-2FXS in the NM-HDV and it still wasnt recognized.  There is documentation out there that states the 3700 supports the VIC-2FXS though, but I did see the table in this thread that said it didnt.  Strange...

Just to rule out the card itself, I put a VIC-2FXO in the NM-HDV slot and it didnt show up either.  However the VWIC-2MFT-T1 do show up on the onboard WIC slots and of course in the NM-HDV.

Looks like I will be buying a VIC2-2FXS...

Thanks for the help!

Hi

As said, you will require NM-1V or NM-2V to make VIC-2FXS work with 3725. You cant insert it in other card and expect it to be detected.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: