cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA not giving out DHCP to clients, only DHCP discovery packet visible

John Peterson
Level 1
Level 1

My ASA 5505 has stopped giving out DHCP address to my machines.

Everything was working fine and nothing has changed in the network. I've reloaded the firewall and clear all DHCP on the firewall I've even re-entered the cmd on the ASA.

I'm able to staticlly assigned address to the clients and all is way. When I do a DHCP debug on the ASA I don't see any events relating to the DHCP service apart from checking for lease expiry.

I've also tried to plug a machine straight into the ASA and no result. I finally did a packet capture and I am seeing the client machine sending out a DHCP discover packet and nothing else is responding.

My ASA config is:

dhcpd address 192.168.3.10-192.168.3.33 inside

dhcpd dns 8.8.4.4 interface inside

dhcpd option 3 ip 192.168.3.1 interface inside

dhcpd enable inside

Any help would be appreciated.

7 Replies 7

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi John,

Check if dhcp daemon is running on the ASA. Use Show process or filter as below....

Show processes | inc dhcp

Show processes | inc DHCPD

If dhcp daemon not running, then as you already retarted the ASA, try different OS.

hth

MS

Hey,

I've checked the ASA and the dhcp deamon is running:

Router# Show processes | inc dhcp

Mwe 081ca8be d8b09ed4 09e31bac          0 d8b06090 15240/16384 dhcp_daemon

Router# Show processes | inc DHCPD

Mwe 081c8cd1 d81cd3b4 09e31bac          8 d81cb510 7712/8192 DHCPD Timer

Router#

Also it was working before and how stopped working, but nothing has changed?

I don't think you see any output for this, but try 'show dhcpd bindigs'. If you see any entries, then clear them and see if that works (the reload rules out any 'clear' though). There should be couple of other processes for 2nd command output when clients get IP addresses. Try changing OS.

Thx

MS

Nope there are not DHCP bindings.

The problem is I don't have access to anthor OS for the ASA, therefore changing the OS is not a option. I am accessing it remotly, I am not able to reload the entire router and then reload there startup-config as I will loose connection.

Ok, this is really strange.

I have just configred a site to site VPN which has somehow made my ASA give out DHCP,

have you run debug dhcpd to debug the dhcp server on the ASA, and/or check the log?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Glad to hear that but totally strange .

Thx

MS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card