Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN router model selection for dual uplink environment

Turbo727
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company has a single 2811 WAN router with dual uplilnks to different ISPs right now. Recently we have had a major hardware failure issue that resulted in network outage. My manager reconsidered my recommendation of dual WAN routers but told me we had limited budget so could only afford one new router.

So now we are looking at solution of 2811 + 2911 with same license level. We don't have any special feature, just basic routing, basic BGP and static routes. Can you please comment on this solution. I need to know what the implication of having different WAN router model is.

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the size of the WAN links?

Both link are 20Mbps

2811 should be able to handle 20 Mbps of traffic (if you are not running encryption).  If you want something cheaper, try Cisco Refurbish.

Thanks Leolaohoo,

My question is not about the price of the router.

question is about how bad it could be to have two different model WAN routers.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It wouldn't be "bad" at all.  It will be different in that at 2911 has much more performance (about 3x) than a 2811 (i.e. you should see a lower CPU load for the same traffic levels) and you may see IOS feature difference if the two routers run different IOS versions (although using the same common features they should [but not always] behave alike).

PS:

Since newer router models are usually "faster", if you've found your 2811's performance acceptable, and you don't forsee bandwidth upgrades, you might also consider a newer router with less performance than a 2911 but still faster than a 2811, for example the 2901, 1941 or 1921.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card