Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect a 3560G to a linksys E4200

martgombert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to Cisco, it's been 7 years ago that I passed my CCNA. I'm setting up a new network at my home and can't get it working.

I have a Linksys E4200 that is connected to the internet.

I have a Cisco 3560G-48TS for my virtualisation project.

On this 3560 I have made some VLAN's for the vSphere environment, when I make a trunk to the dvSwitch I can ping the default gateway and the other hosts on the same VLAN but can't connect to the internet.

Port Gi0/3 is connected to the E4200, now I have internet on all PC's in VLAN1. If I switch the cable to port Gi0/1 the internet connection is gone for all PC's.

Also I can't reach the switch by IP 192.168.1.2.

I hope somebody can help.

See the running config attached.

Some extra info:

IP-address of the E4200: 192.168.1.1

IP-address of Gi0/1: 192.168.1.2

Thanks!

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Since you are using vlan 1 with g0/3 interface and everything works fine can you make sure g0/1 is also in vlan 1?

By default all ports are in vlan 1 until you put them in a different vlan

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Mehdidz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'd move the g0/1 config to vlan 1 inteface

( are you using DHCP for the subnets other than 192.168.1.x?  for vlan 1 I guess that the  E4200 is the server ?

if you are using static IP assignement make sure to have the correct default gateway which is the correspending SVI ?

regards

Mehdi

martgombert
Level 1
Level 1

I didn't change the VLAN of port g0/1. I now changed VLAN1 to this:

interface Vlan1

description Link naar E4200 (router)

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

And maked g0/1 default. Still no internet on the other VLAN's.

I use the E4200 for DHCP on 192.168.1.x and wanna use my Synology for DHCP on the other subnets, but thats for later...

Can you post the output of

Sh ip int bri vla1?

Also

Sh ip int bri gi0/1?

Switch#Sh ip int bri vla1

Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

Vlan1                  192.168.1.2     YES manual up                    up

Switch#Sh ip int bri gi0/1

Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

GigabitEthernet0/1     unassigned      YES unset  down                  down

can you do a traceroute to let's say 8.8.8.8 from one of the pc in other vlans ?

From a Windows XP client behind the dvSwitch (attached to port g0/34) in VLAN130:

c:\> tracert 8.8.8.8

Bezig met het traceren van de route naar 8.8.8.8 via maximaal 30 hops

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.130.1

2 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

How come port 0/1 is down? Is anything connected to this port?

Died the port go to up and up mode when you connect it to the linksys?

pjmonline
Level 1
Level 1

You could try to give the switch port connected to the 4200 an ip address in the same subnet and no switchport command. This would make the port a routed port then try the Internet again.

That's how I started, but it dont work. If I make it no switchport and give it an IP address also the computers in VLAN1 dont have access to the internet.

have you gote a route back to the other subnets on the linksys ?

How can I check that?

pjmonline
Level 1
Level 1

I think the others are correct. You need a static router on the linksys router back I the other subnets/vlans.

Login to the linksys and define the routes for the other vlans and the gateway is the vlan1 management ip of the switch.

go.michael
Level 1
Level 1

I believe your Router is just not capable of handling multiple VLANs.  Once you set the IP of the router to 192.168.1.1/24, it is only aware of that network.  Plus it will only NAT IPs that are on 192.168.1.0/24.  If you want to complete that lab you can get a Cisco ASA5505 which can handle trunking with your switch or even trunk it with your ESX Vswitch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco