Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Access Ports

chris.trower
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I have seen this somewhere and wondering how is this setup.

How can you setup on a cisco switch to have multiple vlan's be attached to one port to where the client can have multiple different subnets but never have to change there vlan to anything? For example

Provider switch (1.1.1.1/24 and 1.1.2.1/24) ported to the client switch. Client switch does not require anything put "plug and play" basic and can use both vlan's how is this possible? If you setup two different vlan's and trunked to that port it would require the client switch to have the vlan's setup but if you set it up as access mode on the provider switch port to the client only one vlan can be setup. Just wondering seen this before and wondering how to set this up. Or what it is called.

4 Replies 4

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Configure trunking on the switch interface:

Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Well trunking from the provider switch to the client switch. Wouldn't that require the vlan's to be used on the client switch?

I believe you have to configure the port the client is connected to as a trunk port and then the client's NIC have to support trunking to be able to get this working.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are we sure we are talking vlans here  and not just subnets?  Otherwise you can just use secondary addresses on a single interface  or on the SVI itself .  You can use as many secondary addresses as youwant  on a single interface or SVI though it's not good practice to use more than 1 or 2 secondaries. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: