Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP link problem (server to switch)

mostakimulhuq
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I have faced following problem in my office,

We have purched two new Dell Server PowerEdge R910 with bult-in 10GB FC Network card. Service tag of this two servers are given bellow.

1. 7D94C2S

2. 6D94C2S

You can can Check specification of this two server from dell website http://www.support.dell.com

We have two CISCO switch and model is given bellow:

Brand: CISCO

Model: WS-C3560E-12SD

We want to connect server to switch through FC cable and both switch have SPF module.

But when we connect server to switch, link do not establish even switch and server port light become off.

Then we have tested the following things:

1. Connect server to server through FC cable, it is okay.

2. Connect switch to switch through same FC cable, it is okay.

I don't understand why it is not working.

Please help.

Regards,

Shuvo

5 Replies 5

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

What ports are using on the 3560E switch?

That particular switch you are using only has two 10GbE interfaces which use X2 based optics, not SFP's. The fact you have mentioned using SFP's makes me think you have cabled the server into 1GbE ports on your switch. If this is the case, it is highly likely the NIC's in the server support 10GbE only and will not operate at 1GbE.

If you can provide the port numbers you have cabled too on the switch and the exact model of NIC in your server I can help out more, and confirm if my suspicion above is correct.

Sergey Fer
Level 1
Level 1

Your service tags show that you have 710 (not 910) server. What server do you really have and what type of NIC adapter is embedded?

mostakimulhuq
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for quick response.

Firstly, Server service tag that I have mentioned is not correct. Please consider the following servcie tag:

1. 2L95C2S

2. 1L95C2S

Detail server NIC information is given bellow:

Dell VWWP7 R910 Broadcom 5709 Dual-port Gig-e Dual Port Sfp Base

You can also get detail information from the following website:

http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/broadcom-network-interface-cards

I am not connecting the server to switch in the switch 10GbE interfaces, which use X2 based optics, port. I am connecting the server in other switch port. I know switch other port is not 10GB supported. That is why I have changed the server NIC port speed to 1Gb from BIOS which can do in this server. But still it is not working.

Can u tell me port type of this switch is SFP or not? or is it support SPF type link?

Because Server port type is SFP.

Thanks

Yes, this switch has 12 SFP-based GE interfaces and 2 10GE X2-based. What SFP models do you use and what type of cable?

mostakimulhuq
Level 1
Level 1

Switch SFP model number and cable type are given bellow:

SFP Model: GLC-SX-MM

30-130-02

Cable type (server to switch): LC-LC

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card