Failed to Connect to ldap:<server name>:389

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2012

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone can help me resolve the issue I am having with connecting my Callmanager 7.1.5 with my AD LDAP.  No matter what I try, I get the meeage:

Failed to Connect to ldap:<server name>:389

I am able to ping the AD server from the callmanager and ping the callmanager IP from the AD server.

I have tried using SSL port : 636 as well.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Joseph Martini Tue, 05/08/2012 - 10:00

The easist way to troubleshoot is to start a packet capture from the publisher and leave it running while you click save which initiates a connection to the LDAP server.  Once you see the error message on the screen you can stop the packet capture and take a look at it to see why it fails to connect.

Here's how to take a packet capture if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080b36101.shtml

David Hailey Tue, 05/08/2012 - 12:17

389 and 636 are the well-known LDAP ports.  You might also try the Global Catalog ports of 3268 and 3269.  It would be worthwhile to find out of there is an ACL and/or firewall that might be restricting access as well.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Anthony Holloway Tue, 05/08/2012 - 12:18

Joe, any information on why LDAP errors are not logged in the DirSync log files, even when set to debug?  I was recently troubleshooting an LDAP issue and had to resort to a packet capture myself.  Thanks.

FYI, if you do a packet capture on a non-SSL enabled AD integration, be prepared to see usernames and passwords, in clear text,  in the ldap.bindReuest messages.

vipankapur1 Tue, 05/08/2012 - 12:50

I have tried port 3268 and 3269.  I ran a packet trace and I got an XML file back, how do I see what could be causing the issue.  The AD and OU settings are correct.

vipankapur1 Wed, 05/09/2012 - 10:17

There is no firewall or ACL between AD and CUCM.  I was able to bind  the ldap server using an ldap browser, but when I try to connect I am  still getting the same error on all ports.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the help.

Joseph Martini Wed, 05/09/2012 - 10:33

If you downloaed the packet capture using RTMT, you should see an XML file as well as a directory with the server name.  Inside the directory with the server name you should find a platform/cli/.cap file that we can look at.

vipankapur1 Thu, 05/10/2012 - 06:57

Joe:

I have a directory with the server name, but no .CAP file.  I even selected all services when I collected the files.

David,

The ccmadministrator account is created in AD and the password is correct, I have reset the password and tested again, with the same results.  I have also tried using the AD admin account to see if it connected, but I get the same error.

Actions

This Discussion