cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does option 43 matter ? WLC5508 ver 7.2 using internal DHCP server

Khoa Pham
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a WLC 5508 and its internal DHCP server. I cant find anywhere I can setup option 43. However, the access points are connected in just fine. Do I need to worry about setting up a seperate DHCP server to get option 43 setup properly ?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you want to have AP on a different subnet from the WLC, then yes you would want to configure another server and option 43.

If you're fine wtih your current setup, then no.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Option 43 is to help the APs join the wlc. Your APs already are joined and this isnt used by clients.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Sorry I didnt make my question clear.

I am using a WLC 5508 and its internal DHCP server. I cant find anywhere I can setup option 43.

When I connect a CAPWAPP Access Point to the network, it receives IP address from the WLC 5508 DHCP service just fine. It shows up in the access points list and users can connect to it no problem.

Do I need to worry about setting up a seperate DHCP server to get option 43 setup properly ?

If you want to have AP on a different subnet from the WLC, then yes you would want to configure another server and option 43.

If you're fine wtih your current setup, then no.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen,

I want to rate your answer is a correct answer.

Do you any chance have a doc from Cisco saying this?

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/97066/dhcp-option-43.pdf

It's in the introduction.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Option 43 to join specific Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs) when the WLC is in a different subnet than the LAP.

Awesome! Thank you.

You don't new option 43. The internal dhcp doesn't allow you to create any options, just default dhcp requirements.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card