Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco vss - connect from access switch with no etherchannel

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

If I dual connect my access switch to my 6509s running vss, what will happen, will spanning tree still block one of the ports if I don't set up an etherchannel?

Cheers

Carl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming a basic topology where there is no VLAN trunking etc going on then yes, STP will block one of the links as you have created a layer 2 loop.

If the links were VLAN trunks and carrying all VLAN's on both links, the above blocking scenario would also apply.

If the links were VLAN trunks and only carrying a subset of VLANs on link #1 and another subet on link #2 (e.g. VLAN's 100 and 110 on link 1 and VLAN's 200 and 210 on link 2) then no blocking would occur as there would be no layer 2 loop.

That should cover off pretty much all the scenarios you could use

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming a basic topology where there is no VLAN trunking etc going on then yes, STP will block one of the links as you have created a layer 2 loop.

If the links were VLAN trunks and carrying all VLAN's on both links, the above blocking scenario would also apply.

If the links were VLAN trunks and only carrying a subset of VLANs on link #1 and another subet on link #2 (e.g. VLAN's 100 and 110 on link 1 and VLAN's 200 and 210 on link 2) then no blocking would occur as there would be no layer 2 loop.

That should cover off pretty much all the scenarios you could use

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card