Views
Helpful
Replies

tool for mapping out network - help

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have started a new company with little documentation on the lan and wan, is there any software snmp or such that can pull all the info from my devices and map out the network effectively doing a drawing, with interface ip's etc ?

cheers

5 Replies 5

Hi

What info does this provide ? does it use snmp to poll? will it show me the links, ip addresses etc ?

Hi,

It uses snmp. Displays  physical layout and  detailed logical views of the network, including Layer 2/3, OSPF, EIGRP, MPLS, PVCs, VLANs, VPNs, BGP, HSRP/VRRP, and device virtualization. Quite complex diagram, that includes interfaces, vlans , IPs, Equipment type, etc.

Dan

is there any freeware tools that can do this ?

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

First of all I have never found a tool that is very very good at this. it might be because of the complexity needed..

The only freeware I know of is Cheops-ng and that is a product that have been down for many years I think. (man I am getting old)

Checkout Solarwinds LANSurveyor  or the Engineer toolkit.

What I do to begin with if I where in your shoes is basically follow the route.

Start with the routers/firewalls and follow them, write it down and then i go with the VLAN´s follow them and check where they go.

then down to L2 and check out what the switches are up to.

while you are there (in the routers/switches/firewalls) make a backup of all the information (license keys/config and so on) if you do not have one..

Good luck

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card