cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Host on the same subnet connected to two Cisco routers

mactej6228
Level 1
Level 1

Please refer on the attached file. PING is unsuccesful for both pc. What routing protocol that I'm going to use here? I tried RIPv2 but I still a "Request timed out" message.  -- The concept of this topology will be used in a larger network setup.. Please help..

R1(RIP)

network: 192.168.0.0 & 10.0.0.0

R2 (RIP)

network: 192.168.0.0 & 10.0.0.0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mark,

what you are looking for is an OSI Layer 2 transport service over an IP routed network.

No routing protocol can give you this.

L2TPv3 can be useful in these cases but you have to be aware that all broadcast, multicast and unknown unicast traffic will be carried over the WAN consuming bandwidth

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

it is supported on ISR routers like C3725 or C2800 with appropriate feature set.

A routed solution with different IP subnets at the two sites should be preferred if possible.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Can you change the end networks to make them different subnets?

It won't work because they use the same subnet on two different locations.

Change one of the networks to 192.168.1.0/24 or something similar.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mark,

what you are looking for is an OSI Layer 2 transport service over an IP routed network.

No routing protocol can give you this.

L2TPv3 can be useful in these cases but you have to be aware that all broadcast, multicast and unknown unicast traffic will be carried over the WAN consuming bandwidth

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

it is supported on ISR routers like C3725 or C2800 with appropriate feature set.

A routed solution with different IP subnets at the two sites should be preferred if possible.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for all your replies it give me some insights...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: