Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS on 6500 with redundant Sup 720s

mshatkus1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ALL,

I sort of messed up and upgraded the IOS on one supervisor on a 6500 without doing the second, saved and reloaded.   How to I get the 2nd one working again?  When I issued a show module the "normal" Active sup shows active and the standby shows as Supervisor-Other      Unknown       Unknown

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Unknown" possibly means the supervisor card is in ROMmon.

The fastest way to move the IOS from one Supervisor card to the other is via compact flash (CF).  Once you insert the CF into the supervisor card that's in ROMmon you can force this card to boot the CF instead.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Unknown" possibly means the supervisor card is in ROMmon.

The fastest way to move the IOS from one Supervisor card to the other is via compact flash (CF).  Once you insert the CF into the supervisor card that's in ROMmon you can force this card to boot the CF instead.

I don't have a compact flash card.  This switch isn't in production so it's not a monster deal to get it done "fast".  I need to get it done fast because I can't go home until its fixed .  So if the 2nd sup is in ROMmon can I just console into that sup (after pulling the active) and tell it to boot said image?  If this is a possible solution is there are link on Cisco's site you can post to give me step by step directions.  Thanks

I got it.  Was in ROMmon.  I appreciate your help

So if the 2nd sup is in ROMmon can I just console into that sup (after pulling the active) and tell it to boot said image?

Depends.  Not wanting to waste your time so you can go home, yes you can.

Recover a Supervisor Engine 720 from a Missing/Corrupted Cisco IOS Image or ROMmon Mode

I'm more concerned about WHY the supervisor card went into ROMmon.

I forgot to copy the new image from the active supervisor to the standby before I changed the bootv and then reloaded the switch.  The standby sup didn't have the image loaded on it that the active sup had

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: