Views
Helpful
Replies

Path cost and priority for spanning tree

ssweehinlew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I know how to manually set the priority (root ID and bridge ID priority) and  for spanning tree? Which one should I use based on the command below?

and how does it affect the path cost of it?

set spantree root 1

spanning vlan1 priority 4096

Thank you for ur prompt reply.

5 Replies 5

Parvesh Paliwal
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

What I know is that you can change the priority of a spanning tree vlan but it has nothing to do with path cost.

Path cost is the cost of a link, usually calculated on the basis of bandwidth of the link. The more the bandwidth the less the cost.

Please let me concern your further queries.

Regards,

Parvesh

I have core switches and access switches in my network environment and some of the spannning tree vlan root bridge is defined on access switches. How can I change the root bridge from the access switches to core switches without affecting the production network?

Determine where you want the root and add the command "spanning tree vlan X root primary" .  

If I set the vlan root bridge on core switch, do i need to remove it from the access switch? Will it cause downtime?

Some vlans are not joined together, it causes few vlan root bridge are defined on different switches. How to identify the disjoint vlan and join all the vlan via STP?

Hi,

If I set the vlan root bridge on core switch, do i need to remove it from the access switch? Will it cause downtime?

Of course it cause downtime as there will be a new election and no you don't need to remove it from access switch as long as the priority is better on the core but if the core goes down then your access will be reelected so if you've got another core or distribution switch configure it as a secondary root.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card