Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ONS 15454 Configuartion

adhillon1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I  have two Cisco ONS 15454 , CTC Version: 8.5 & i have to configure  the setup for DWDM testing .Can anyone let me know following:-

1. How to connect two Cisco ONS 15454?

2. Steps to configure the Cisco ONS 15454 for DWDM?

3. How to connect/configure brocade 5100 8Gbps FC switch?

Connectivity Flow:

Brocade 5100 ->Cisco ONS 15454 Node A ->Cisco ONS 15454 Node B ->Brocade 5100

Since I am very new in configurating the CISCO product , any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amardeep,

Looks like you have a 2 channel Terminal MSTP system here. Do you have the CTP file that designed this network? You'll need to get the internal patchcords out of the CTP file and fiber the cards up per the design file. After that is done you'll need to extract the .xml file from the CTP file and load it into the node. After it is loaded in the node you can launch ANS. Then you can turn up the OSC channels(provisioning/comm channels). Do this for both nodes. If everything is done correctly you should see a green line between the nodes in your CTC view. Let me know when you get to this point and the rest should be fairly easy. If you have any questions let me know. The key is to have the CTP design file to get started in the right direction. Hope this gets you started.

Ryan

View solution in original post

Here you go, I've created the network for you in CTP using REL8.5 and the cards shown in your snapshots above, I've used a loss of 10dB between the nodes but the expected span loss can be between 10 and 15dB so just insert an attenuator.

When you import the NEUpdate file you can accept the import parameters because the cards are also in the same place as shown in your snap shots.

Not promising anything but it may save you having to learn how to design the network in CTP especially as you would have to manually force the selection of the right cards.

Good luck

Take a pencil and wrap the receive fiber jumper around it until the optical level gets to the value to remove the alarm (should be a couple of wraps).  Hopefully the jumper's fiber isn't made with bend insensative fiber.. otherwise it will require quite a few wraps!

20 Replies 20

Ryan Gadwood
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Amardeep,

Do you know what types of cards you have in your 15454 chassis? It can be different for each type of setup depending on the cards in the chassis. If you have screenshots of the chassis view in CTC that would help the most. Thanks.

Ryan

Thanks for Reply , Ryan. Appreciate your help.

Please find snippet of CTC.

Amardeep,

Looks like you have a 2 channel Terminal MSTP system here. Do you have the CTP file that designed this network? You'll need to get the internal patchcords out of the CTP file and fiber the cards up per the design file. After that is done you'll need to extract the .xml file from the CTP file and load it into the node. After it is loaded in the node you can launch ANS. Then you can turn up the OSC channels(provisioning/comm channels). Do this for both nodes. If everything is done correctly you should see a green line between the nodes in your CTC view. Let me know when you get to this point and the rest should be fairly easy. If you have any questions let me know. The key is to have the CTP design file to get started in the right direction. Hope this gets you started.

Ryan

Ryan,

I don't have CTC file, Can you please let me know how to get the same or how to get  the CTC file from the cisco device itself?

Thanks

Hi Ryan,

I think my connectivity is fine now between the ONS switchs but  Brocade switch  is having trouble negotiating the link with the MXP card. Can you please suggest how to proceed further?

From Brocade switch:-

admin> portcfgshow 38

Area Number:              38

Speed Level:              AUTO(HW)

Fill Word:                3(A-A then SW I-A)

AL_PA Offset 13:          OFF

Trunk Port                ON

Long Distance             LD

VC Link Init              ON

Desired Distance          10 Km

Reserved Buffers          46

Locked L_Port             OFF

Locked G_Port             OFF

Disabled E_Port           OFF

Locked E_Port             OFF

ISL R_RDY Mode            ON

RSCN Suppressed           OFF

Persistent Disable        OFF

LOS TOV enable            OFF

NPIV capability           ON

QOS E_Port                OFF

Port Auto Disable:        OFF

Rate Limit                OFF

EX Port                   OFF

Mirror Port               OFF

Credit Recovery           ON

F_Port Buffers            OFF

NPIV PP Limit:            126

CSCTL mode:               OFF

I also tried to set the port speed to 4Gbps from brocade switch but no luck.

Thanks

Amardeep Dhillon,

What is the alarm on the SFP in port 1-1? Does the same alarm show up on both nodes? What type of SFP is in there? I am not familiar with the Brocade switches but this should work if everything is configured right. Let me know the alarms you have up(preferabbly a screen shot from both nodes so we can see if there are other high level alarms that are up.

Ryan

Ryan,

The SFP present in the ONS are CISCSO 4 Gbps & on the Brocade switches are brocade 8Gbps.

Please find the Alarm information from both the node.

NODE A:

NODE B:

Thanks

Amardepp Dhillon,

It looks like you have some higher level alarms that will prevent the trunk links from coming up the MXP MR. Are your OSC channels up between the sites(do you see two green lines between the two sites). As for the client ports I don't believe your setup will work as Tom had stated earlier that you will need the SFP's to match speed and fiber type for it to work. You could test the client SFP's by looping back on themself to see if your signal loss and synch alarms clear. You might also want to check your conditions to make sure you are seeing all alarms. I would first clear all the red alarms by troubleshooting, then orange, then yellow. Make sure to verify your light levels with a light meter if possible. Hope this helps.

Ryan

According to the 15454 user docs for the muxsponder cards (MXP-MR-10DME) installed in your chassis, they do not support 8Gb Fiber Channel interfaces.  The Brocade switch does not have a DWDM 8G FC SFP+ module identified on their website, so you won't be able to connect directly to the AD2C cards.  The 40G Transponder card supports 8G FC and it looks like some soon to be released AR_MXP and AR_XP cards will support 8B FC. 

Tom,

I was trying to connect the ONS 2 GB port to Brocade 8GB port & the link was not coming up. Will give that a try with 4GB SFP.

Thanks

Optical ports do not autonegociate for speed.  You will need to make sure the FC transceivers at each end of the link have the same speed, reach length and fiber type.

Ryan was speaking of a CTP (Cisco Transport Planner) files.  These files are generated when you design the optical network using CTP; which is a program that partners receive to design networks. It assists in setting the nodes to proper operating parameters. You will need to speak with a Cisco Account Manager to get a copy. .  

Thanks Tom/Ryan for the guidance. Will talk to a Cisco Account Manager to get the copy of CTP & get back to you guys, if i need any help.

Here you go, I've created the network for you in CTP using REL8.5 and the cards shown in your snapshots above, I've used a loss of 10dB between the nodes but the expected span loss can be between 10 and 15dB so just insert an attenuator.

When you import the NEUpdate file you can accept the import parameters because the cards are also in the same place as shown in your snap shots.

Not promising anything but it may save you having to learn how to design the network in CTP especially as you would have to manually force the selection of the right cards.

Good luck

Thanks All for your suggestions

Was able to configure the ONS switch & able to transfer the data accross .The issue was the connectivity between the Cards.

The only Minor alert which i am observing is on MXP_MR Card on port 9, would be great if anyone can let me know how to resolve the same.

Attached the snippet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: