Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Cisco MDS 9124 switches, ISL link, redundancy

handdinfo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is a basic diagram of our currently operational fabric: ( "|" represents FC optical links)

Servers

|     |     |

MDS9124

|     |    

Storage

We would like to interconnect MDS9124 with another MDS9124 switch to provide redundancy in case one of the switches stops working. We have created one additional VSAN and use that VSAN for the fabric. Physically, we would connect servers and storage to the other MDS switch with optic cables as well, since we have dual port HBA's. How do we go about configuring the other switch since this model doesn't support High Availability? We will create ISL trunk, convert ISL ports to E ports and specify our VSAN that will be shared. Any additional configuration for this solution? The goal is to connect servers to storage in a way that supports failure of one SAN switch. Thank you for your answers!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Consider not connecting the two switches together and install multipath software on the servers.

Server1

/        \

MDS1    MDS2

\          /

Storage

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Consider not connecting the two switches together and install multipath software on the servers.

Server1

/        \

MDS1    MDS2

\          /

Storage

Regards,

David

I have  a similar situation owever i have an ISL configured between both switches.

Anyone knows how i can achieve redundancy between the Switches. Idont wanna take out the trunk.

I'm not positive, but I think it's an either-or situation.

You'd could set up additonal VSANs on the switches, but the VSANs used for redundancy couldn't be trunked.

So, if switch A had VSAN1 and VSAN2, and switch B had VSAN1 and VSAN3, you could use VSAN2 and VSAN3 for redundancy, but nothing on VSAN1 could be seen by either of those.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to remove the trunk?

Thanks Grant . Will put in the change once authorized. Thanks a lot.

To answer to ur curiousity, Im kindda new to SANs

do make sure to review your configuration before you remove ISL between the two switches, if you have storage array connected to switch A and server connected to switch B ..i am sure you know what will happen when you remove ISL link.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

handdinfo
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

Currently, there is no ISL link, physical connections are connected the way you described and second MDS has default configuration. We configure the second switch similar to first, and multipath software on server (MS MPIO) will handle the redundancy?

Correct

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: