Helpful
Replies

Wireless clients dropped by WLC

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Have a very strange issue.

I have a number of clients that are having a problem staying connected to the network while on the wireless.

I have a 5508 Controller running 7.2.103.0. APs are 3502i APs.

The clients can be connected to the controller, they have what appears to be full signal, but they lose all connectivity to the network. I check my switches, and their ARP resolution even disappears.

I've run debugs on the WLC on a particular client, and it shows the client associating to the controller and never shows it disassociate, but, after a while, they just lose connectivity to the LAN. Typically they have to disassociate from the WLAN and reconnect.

One thing i've noticed is that this is not occuring on my Guest WLAN, which uses a different authentication mechanism.

Guest WLAN authentication is WPA2 PSK. Internal Wifi is 802.1x, talking to ACS5.2. ACS doesn't show any deauths or failed logins.

What's more strange is that it's only some clients. I personally use wifi exclusively, i haven't wired in in months and I don thave this problem, but I have 4 other people in my department that the problem.

They have Dell laptops with intel wifi adapters, drivers are updated to latest versions. I also have a Dell laptop, but mine has a Dell wlan card, not Intel.

WLC has LAG enabled and connects to my Nexus backbone. One connection to each Nexus in VPC configuration.

Could the LAG setup be causing this strange behavior? Anyone have any pointers where to even look for this issue?

9 Replies 9

bchaltraw
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting I am having issues like that since I upgraded to 7.2.103.0 two weeks ago.  Seems to only affect my XP tablets.  The just drop the IP and then come back some time later.. 

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Yeah tac told me today there are some intel chipsets with certain driver versions that can cause this behavior. I need to he with my users and get hardware / driver versions.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yeah tac told me today there are some intel chipsets with certain driver versions that can cause this behavior.

I believe the Intel 6500 wireless NICs are the most troublesome.

If your on 7.2.103 or 7.0.230 and these are wpa/dot1x as well as doing machine and user auth you are hitting bug CSCtz24594. We are still trying to implement a work around. Latest intel cards seem to be better off. It older dell cards are dropping.

We are still trying to implement a work around. Latest intel cards seem to be better off. It older dell cards are dropping.

We have some floating around here somewhere.

You have nailed what my problem is, WPA/Dot1x, Machine/user ..  The only issue is with the older Dell tablets the newer Windows 7 laptops are running just fine.   I have an open TAC case to see what I can do about it. Trouble is I need 7.2.103 to support the 3600i AP's or I would have stayed on 7.0.220 which was working fine.

Thanks for the heads up and I hope this helps others.

Glad I could point you in a good direction. We are working on doing machine auth only. We want to stay on latest 7.0 code as well and not have to downgrade.

Have you considered going to 7.0.220.0?  We were working well on that code for quite awhile and it supported all the security we had and didn't have to make it fit by doing workarounds.  Just a thought.

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

So far, updating the client drivers to version 15.1 seems to be solving he problem for my users. Thanks for everyone's help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: