cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I clear IM history in a Jabber Window?

terminalx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

I'm wondering how to clear out the IM Window of previous history. I must just be missing it!

Cheers,

Henry Bosch

9 Replies 9

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

This functionality does not exist.

Thanks Nhabib

Will it be in 9.1?

Also, I noticed that I could clear the history (all at once) by deleting the file here:  (Win7)

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History

-Henry

Hey Henry,

Currently there is no straight forward option in Cisco Jabber for Windows to clear conversation history.

This feature is targeted for future Jabber release.

As you already know, unlike CUPC where for each contact you'd have a  transcript file and so you can delete IM History per contact as well,  however, in Cisco Jabber for Windows, a single DB file is created in  which combines ALL IM history for every contact.

When  I delete the file and restart Jabber, all my IM's are cleared for every  contact. So for now, till this feature is released, you can do the  following:

1) Exit Cisco Jabber for Windows

2) Delete the file "userid@domain.db" from the following location

For XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History

For Win 7:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History

3) Restart Jabber and now IM's would have been cleared.

Regards,

Jasmeet

Hi Jasmeet,

do you have an update on this request? If there a roadmap for global/user-based policy to delete IM history? For example every evening, one a week,..

Thank you.

Regards,

Jerome

If I understand your post correctly, Jabber does store a history of chat/conversation comments. Is that correct? I believe some inappropriate comments were made on group chats in my workplace and want to document them, besides using cut-and-paste to put them in a Word document.

Note: I am not an IT professional and therefore would not have the technical knowledge or access to examine the history..I just want to know if it could be done. Thanks.

mtavarez
Level 1
Level 1

Has there been any update on the clearing of chat history?

Thanks

Manny

Jabber for windows will create a history of the last 99 messages in an  IM conversation.   These will shown in a greyed out state to indicate  history when a IM conversation is opened.  When a conversation reaches  100 messages the client will loop and overwrite the history.

The IM history is stored in a local database file in the users local machine profile.

C:\Users[userid]\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History

And currently there is no way to delete this except by deleting .db file that holds all history.

Regards,

Srdjan

There is a way to actually delete all messages and prevent from messages being written (all without deleting the file).

The .db file is simply an SQLite database file, and can be opened in any SQLite editor - including the firefox plugin "SQLite Manager".. Or my favorite, SQLiteStudio

Simply open the database file, and there will be 3 tables.  If you do a "DELETE FROM messages".  I don't have the exact table names off hand, but it should be easy to tell.

That's how to delete messages (or select messages) via SQL.  If you want to prevent messages from being saved, you can simply create a trigger on the messages table with only a SELECT(ROLLBACK, "")   line in it.  This will simply roll back any new message logs from being created. Mind you, after you close the chat window, you can't see what you wrote..  But that's desirable to some people.

You can also get a little more creative with it ..

--EDIT--

So the actual trigger statement is:

CREATE TRIGGER no_history

BEFORE INSERT ON history_message

FOR EACH ROW

BEGIN

SELECT RAISE ( ROLLBACK, 'some error message' );

END;

Not applicable

great input.

the straight forward approach, though not technically elegant, is to send another 99 messages.

works good enough for me, at least for some occasions.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: