cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Mac 8.6.1 not connecting to CUPS 8.0.4.10000-5

mhorn
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco Unified Presence Server running version 8.0.4.10000-5.  Our Mac clients (OS X Lion 10.7.3) use Cisco Unified Personal Communicator 7.1.2.13964.  We would like to use the new Jabber for Mac client 8.6.1 but have not been able to get it to work.  When launching CIsco Jabber for Mac 8.6.1 the wizard comes up.  We choose Cisco Unified Presense, use a valid username, password, and server that works with the CUPC client.  The wizard will not complete because it says "The username/password entered is invalid". 

Does anyone have an explaination as to why I can't get this to work?  I looked through the release notes but couldn't find anything specifically saying you need to be running a later version of CUPS for the new client to work. Any help is greatly appreciated and if I can provide more detail to assist please let me know.

Thanks,

Matt

7 Replies 7

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

According to the release notes here, the server version is okay.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_6/b_jabber_RN_mac.html

It may be worthwhile, downloading the windows version of Jabber and testing with the same user as the code base is quiet similar on the two products. If you cannot login, it points to some sort of configuration issue on the server. If you can't, it points to maybe an issue on the MAC.

Thanks,

- Colin

Thanks for the recommendation.  I downloaded Jabber for Windows version 9.0.1 and I also have problems connecting it to our CUPS.  On the Windows client, I entered the correct server name and domain in Connection Settings then entered my username and password that I verified as correct by logging into the CUPS user page.  When I hit Sign In, Jabber for Windows just keeps saying Connecting and never connects.

It appears there is some problem on the server based on that testing.  Are there server side configuration settings that need to be different when using the latest Jabber clients vs the old CUPC?

Matt

No, you should be able to login without any configuration.

These sort of issues are often linked to DNS issues.

The login into CUPS is a two step process.

1. SOAP login - Uses the address you enter into servername

2. XMPP login - Uses the address of the node name in CUPS. System -> Cluster Topology.

Both of these need to be resolvable. You can this by doing a nslookup on the machine.

Also when using Jabber for Win, check if you are filling in both the server address and the domain.

- Colin

I don't think this is a DNS issue.  I used nslookup to verify the DNS names resolve properly on both my Windows system and my Mac system. I tested both servername and servername.domain.local and they properly resolve the correct server IP address. 

I verified the correct information for the server address and domain were entered on the Windows client. I also confirmed the node name in System -> Topology.

Is there anything else I can check or do to troubleshoot?  I appreciate your assistance.

Matt

Hmmm.. without logs it's pretty difficult to debug this. I think you should probably open a TAC case and a TAC engineer will be assigned to investigate further.

Before you do few other small things to check:

* You can login via the CUPS and CUCM user page.

* Try unassigning and reassigning the users in CUPS.

* Make sure you're logging in using the samAccountName (or whatever you've synced from AD)

* Disable the firewall/AV in case there is some sort of port blocking going on.

- Colin

Thanks for your help.  I will open a case with TAC. 

I did verify I can log in to CUPS and CUCM user pages.  That works no problem.  The same login also works fine on CUPC and Jabber for iPhone. 

Again, I appreciate your help and if I get a solution I will post back to the forum so everyone knows how to resolve this issue.

I thought I would update everyone on my findings in case someone else runs into this problem. 

The reason it doesn't work for us is because the new version of the Jabber client requires your call manager be setup to use an external directory ( i.e. LDAP/AD). If you are using the built-in directory for auth it will not work. 

See this thread for additional info.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2127542

Thanks everyone for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: