cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP121 extremely slow

zacmutrux
Level 1
Level 1

A client contacted me for assistance with their wireless network. They had just purchased three WAP121 wireless access points and upon setting them up discovered the devices provided extremely slow access to the Internet. They have cable Internet service from Comcast and when attached to Ethernet or an older wireless router, speedtest.net shows download speed of 30Mbps. But when connected to any one of the three WAP121 devices they get less than 1 Mbps down.

Upon reviewing the settings with Cisco tier 1 support nothing seems amiss. The issue persists even when the AP is transported to another site. I am awaiting contact from tier 2.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behavior?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

YES! After reviewing this forum, and testing on my own. Update Firmware, and Turn off 'N' - Just broadcast 802.11b/g networks. I have Comcast with two WAP121, and had SAME issues. This fixed it instantly.

Don't know why, and don't care at this point.

View solution in original post

171 Replies 171

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Sorry for the delay in reaching out to you. Are you still having the issue? You mention that you worked with  tier 1 support. What was that case number? I would like to follow-up on that.

With these units being new we want to follow-up on them very closely.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Eric good night

Is there any solution to this problem? , A firmware that fix the speed?.

Sorry but the workaround is not useful in all the cases, and 1 week ago we bought 2 units.

aubre
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same problem with 2 brand new devices as well, both at seperate locations...I've gone as far as tier 2 and they couldn't replicate it in their lab so they closed the case! 

Both devices are behind a SonicWall TZ180.  Since it's a live environment I can't pin the SonicWall to try it with defaults.

Below are the results that I sent to Cisco Support

I did quite a bit of testing last night and I discovered that if WPA or WPA2 with AES, I get the following results:

.67 DOWN 16.22 UP

If WPA2 with TKIP, I get the following results:

15.2 DOWN 17.52 UP

If WPA with TKIP, I get the following results:

18.49 DOWN 8.27 UP

No security, I get the following results:

.50 DOWN 16.33 UP

Pinned to factory defaults with ciscosb as the ssid, I get the following results:

.47 DOWN 13.64 UP

On a wired 100MB Link. I get 21.71 Mbps down 17.13Mbps up

I’ve reset the AP to defaults several times and the common denominator is AES!

Very dissapointed in Cisco support on this one...

I was informed the units my client purchased were "seed units" never intended for resale. We returned them for a refund. You should do the same or try a warranty exchange.

damonledet
Level 1
Level 1

I too am in the same boat. I have called tech support several times, was shipped a new unit, still same poblem as discribed above. Support seems to be at a lost. I contuine to get the run around everytime I call support. This product is a joke.

What type of device is it behind?

It is hooked to a Cisco RV-082.

damonledet
Level 1
Level 1

So Cisco shipped my third replacement unit and guess what same issue. I have now decided to start the refund process. My one lingering question is does Cisco have any quality control? Do new items undergo any testing, or does Cisco just test there products on the public at large?

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

What is your case number. I would like to follow-up on your issue.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

I have 2 case numbers but the last one is 622083535. I sent an email this morning to start the refund process not sure if it has started as I have not heard back yet. I am willing to try a 4th if I can be guaranteed that it will be pre tested before it ships to me and is a fully working unit.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have looked at the two cases for your Cisco User ID, 622083535 and 62195998. The main issue as I am Reading the case is that when connected wirelessly to the AP he only gets 10mbps upload and 1mbps download. Is that the extent of it?

Also sorry for asking any questions, that you may have already answered, but I dont see any answers in the case notes.

What type of service do you currently have Cable or DSL or etc?

I see that you have used other AP's with success, what speeds do they get?

What troubleshooting steps did any of the engineers have you go through?

Thanks

Eric

Forgot to ask.

What other devices do you have on the network?

Also are you using G/N mixed, N only, etc? What kind of signal are you wanting?

Eric

What type of service do you currently have Cable or DSL or etc? 50mbps 10mbps    

I see that you have used other AP's with success, what speeds do they get? 50/10 the full service of the cable provider

What troubleshooting steps did any of the engineers have you go through? remove security, do N only, 20mhz, 40 mhz, he changed several of the numbers on the page, I let him remote in and try stuff.

What other devices do you have on the network? 2 switchs, and about 20 imacs, RV-082 but the wap121 is hooked direct to the RV-082. I even tried setting the rv-082 port to a vlan of 5 (no other device is hooked up on vlan 5) still same issue.

Also are you using G/N mixed, N only, etc? What kind of signal are you wanting? I want to use mixed if I would get a working device.

Thank you for this information. I am pooling this with some more information that I gathered from Aubre' L. Cyriaque. I am now running some testing in my lab here in the support center to see if I can gather anymore information to provide our Level 2 on this issue.

Thank you everyone for your patience's. If anyone would like to contact me directly, just mouse over my picture to the left and it should show my e-mail.

Eric Moyers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: