cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help me understand Jabber Please.

hinewwiner1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, I am curretnly in the process of deploying Cisco UC systems to the company I work.

Basic configuration looks like,

1. 1 Cisco 2921 UC Bundle

2. 2 Catalyst 2960 48port switch

3. Cisco ASA 5510 firewall

4. 50 Cisco UC phone 7975s

5. 10 Cisco UC phone 9971s

So, yes I will be using CME (Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express) in Cisco 2921 router.

All of the equipments listed above are in one office (Let's say the office is in New York).

Now we have small branches in Chicago, LA and we would like to have video call (New York Main Office <-> Chicago,

New York Main Office <-> LA). And we do not want to buy another lists of equipments for Chicago and LA since they are really small sized office. (and we are limitted on our budget)

So I assume, the way to go is to use Cisco Jabber for Windows and have them installed on their computer in Chicago and LA.

My question is, can Cisco Jabber for Windows establish video call to one of 9971 video UC phone in New York office?  If yes, what are the required equipments for this?

Thank you very much!

5 Replies 5

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

There are some basic requirements for the Cisco jabber to work. You need to have servers in the backend which would allow for the Jabber client on the PC to register to. Here are the basic requirements:

There are several backend options for both on prem and Cloud based:

"Basic" for the backends...

Presence and IM:

Cisco WebEx Connect Cloud backend (Cloud bases)

CUP (CUP and CUCM server)

Rich Call Control and video:

Unified Communications Manager (CUCM server)

TelePresence Video:

Cisco Video Communication Server (VCS Server, TMS Server)

Cisco Jabber Video Service (Cloud based)

Hence in order for you to use Cisco Jabber, you would require the basic servers. Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

vivsing2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Beom,

Unfortunately, Jabber can't be used with CME as mentioned by Mubashshir, Jabber  pre-requisite are

Infrastructure requirements

Jabber Video requires the Provisioning option on the Cisco VCS and in Cisco TMS to be enabled.

Product

Version required

Cisco TelePresence Management Suite (Cisco TMS)

12.6 or later

Cisco Video Communication Server (Cisco VCS)

X5.2 or later

X6.0 or later for ICE support

X6.1 or later for NTLM support

You can also find more detail regarding Jabber (Movi):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/movi/admin_guide/Jabber_Video_Admin_Guide_4-3.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11328/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html

Regards,

Vivek

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Beom,

You need additional devices to make the video calls using Cisco Jabber. Cisco jabber is soft client which runs on PC and relys on underlying infrastructure for that.

Cisco jabber requires provisoning to make video call working, and depending on scenario the deployment varies. Basically provisioning requires components as pointed earlier by Vivek and Mubashshir

- Cisco Telepresence managment suite (TMS server)

- Cisco video communication server (Cisco VCS)

However i am not fully agree with them and there is another option available i.e. called as Cisco VCS starter pack, which is built for small enterprise customer who doesn't have large depolyment and for small no. of users  you can buy that.

check the below link for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-697075.html

VCS starter pack can be used without TMS server in deplyoment and used for Cisco Jabber/Movi provisioning.

As you said you have a small office in Chicago and LA so i think you can consider this option as well. 

Thanks

Alok

Thank you so much for all your help.

So if I buy a "Cisco VCS starter pack", and add that to my system above, you are saying I can have Jabber telepresence between PCs and IP Phone 9900 series without CUCM server right? Could you please confirm this for me?

Also the other question that I have in my mind is that, I thought Cisco is offering cloud based Jabber Telepresence where I don't need any of the device but cloud based licenses. Is this true? (If yes, I think buying the license only is much cheaper solution then buying all those devices (See here http://www.cisco.com/web/telepresence/smb/get-started.html )

My last question is that, I can get "free" Jabber video call in "https://www.ciscojabbervideo.com/".  Can I use this for my need?

Thank you so much!  (Is it just me.. I feel that Cisco is really really bad at marketing their products...  I am still confused between Callway, Jabber, WebEX...  )

Beom,

VCS starter pack is a limited edition for users and you don't have much flexibility. although VCS starter pack is ususally deployed in DMZ so that users can use calling in and out from organization plus it supports provisioning and phonebook for some endpoints.

I fyou have starter pack and configure a SIP trunk to your existing CUCM and then you can call using cisco jabber/movi to call to your CUCM 9971 phone.

Regarding free jabber account i created one without any license. So not sure which license you were talking of. Its a free jabber video telepresence service hosted in a cloud enviornment.

You can go to below site and create a free account for video calls. any one can reach you using your jabber video URI.

https://www.ciscojabbervideo.com/?x=uk6t5bgCQyEDmfYpFSuufg

However you won't be able to use this to call to your CUCM registred IP-Phone 9000 directly.

Cisco is offering lot of soltuions based on different client needs and thats the reason it might sound you confusing although its there to cater the customert demands.

Thx for the feedback. I would highly appreciate it if you could rate my messages by using the stars below each message!

Thanks

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: