WLC5508 link to switch core "down"??

Answered Question
May 17th, 2012

Hi,

I tried to implement WLC5508 in my network but when I came to connect it to the switch core which is a Catalyst 4000 the link didn't get up. This switch module is a fastethernet, I wonder if that might be the problem since I also tried connecting my laptop to the WLC and the link got up.

If that might be the cause, is it possible to get WLC to 100 Mbps?

Thanks!!            

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 1 year 11 months ago
Is there any document that specifies this?

Read this:  Information About Distribution System Ports

Distribution ports will only negotiate to 1 Gbps and nothing less.  It will negotiate to only 1 Gbps because all the SFP modules will only operate at this speed and Cisco will NOT enable 100BaseFx fibre.  And I also don't see the logic to this either.

Think about it, the WLC will support, say, 802.11n WAP.  If you have 100BaseFx then the WLC will be a bottleneck.  Don't make any sense, hence 1Gbps is it and nothing else.

Average Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Steve Rodriguez Thu, 05/17/2012 - 18:09

The WLC is gigabit only. It will not negotiate to a lower speed/duplex.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

rguzman.plannet Fri, 05/18/2012 - 06:57

That aplies only for this model WLC5508?

Thanks!

Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Fri, 05/18/2012 - 07:05

Read this:  Information About Distribution System Ports

Distribution ports will only negotiate to 1 Gbps and nothing less.  It will negotiate to only 1 Gbps because all the SFP modules will only operate at this speed and Cisco will NOT enable 100BaseFx fibre.  And I also don't see the logic to this either.

Think about it, the WLC will support, say, 802.11n WAP.  If you have 100BaseFx then the WLC will be a bottleneck.  Don't make any sense, hence 1Gbps is it and nothing else.

rguzman.plannet Fri, 05/18/2012 - 07:18

It happens that someone ordered the WLC with GLC-T modules, and I made the mistake to think they were compatible with 100 Mbps. But you are right it does not make any sense to have a 100 Mbps link in this case.

By the way I read this in another document:

1000BASE-T standard

GLC-T

Thank you so much for your help on this.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Stats:
Replies:5 Avg. Rating:5
Views:642 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: wlc, fast, 5508, link
+

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard