Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding the Switch Behavior

Hi Experts,

I understand the concept of Tagging but just trying to under how does the switch behaves on some adverse scenario's.

I have put forth this table along with my undrestanding. Just wanted to confirm if my understanding is okay.

Lets assume a case that the switch is connected to a packet generator which places some frames on the link towards switch:

Switch   Port Operational Status:  Access
Vlan : 10
My understading:

case 1: The switch gets a traffic on that   port with a tag : 10Since the Switch is configured as an Access port , it would expect a   untagged traffic on this port. Since the port receives a tagged traffic, it   would drop the packet
Case 2:    The switch gets a traffic on this port with a tag : 2Since the Switch is configured as an Access port , it would expect a   untagged traffic on this port. Since the port receives a tagged traffic, it   would drop the packet
Case 3: The switch gets a traffic on this   port with no tagThe Switch process the traffic and attaches the tag Vlan10 when sent over   trunk link

Switch   Port Operational Status:  Trunk

case 1: The switch gets a traffic on that   port with a tagThe switch removes the tag upon receiving the tagged traffic and   processes the traffic (re-tags if it has to be sent over another trunk link   or sends as it is if had to be sent to an access port)
Case 2: The switch gets a traffic on this   port with no tagThe switch takes this traffic as part of Native Vlan and process them.

Please let me know if I'm okay wiht my understading.

Thanks.

-Vijay

1 Reply 1

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

You are right

Siddhartha
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card