UCCX 8.5 Informix/SQL Server linked server question

Answered Question
May 21st, 2012

We have several custom (in-house) queries that were written against a UCCX 7.x installation (SQL Server). These queries were written using a variety of t-sql functions (DATEADD, DATEPART, GETDATE etc). When we migrate to UCCX8.5 (Informix) I'm assuming we will need to translate those t-sql functions to their equivalent Informix functions...is that a correct understanding?  Has anyone else faced a similar situation?  Any gotchas to share?

Also would be interested to hear from anyone who defined a linked server in SQL Server to the new Informix database server....how did it go, any gotchas there?

Thanks!!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Gergely Szabo about 1 year 11 months ago

Hi,

... or, you can just copy data from Informix tables into a MS SQL server and use the familiar T-SQL syntax. This approach is recommended by Cisco AFAIK.

G.

Correct Answer by Aaron Harrison about 1 year 11 months ago

Hi

That's pretty much it - there are equivalent functions for most things, and the syntax (beyond the basic selects) is quiet different and there are some random restrictions on the structure of queries that I don't think applied in MS SQL. A good way to learn is:

- Comparing the MSSQL and Informix equivalents of the standard UCCX procedures

- The IBM 'boulder' website tends to show up on most searches on google for informix commands and has lots of info on syntax etc.

I find Informix more difficult than SQL as it's less forgiving and you don't get decent tools to debug/verify syntax etc without paying out some money..

I've never had a need to do a linked server.

Regards

Aaron

Average Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Aaron Harrison Mon, 05/21/2012 - 22:43

Hi

That's pretty much it - there are equivalent functions for most things, and the syntax (beyond the basic selects) is quiet different and there are some random restrictions on the structure of queries that I don't think applied in MS SQL. A good way to learn is:

- Comparing the MSSQL and Informix equivalents of the standard UCCX procedures

- The IBM 'boulder' website tends to show up on most searches on google for informix commands and has lots of info on syntax etc.

I find Informix more difficult than SQL as it's less forgiving and you don't get decent tools to debug/verify syntax etc without paying out some money..

I've never had a need to do a linked server.

Regards

Aaron

Correct Answer
Gergely Szabo Tue, 05/22/2012 - 01:40

Hi,

... or, you can just copy data from Informix tables into a MS SQL server and use the familiar T-SQL syntax. This approach is recommended by Cisco AFAIK.

G.

dbguy1611 Tue, 05/22/2012 - 06:32

Thanks for your reply/suggestion. A quick follow-up question...I'm assuming it's up to us to provide the data export/import processes to populate a SQL Server DW from the Informix dbserver (i.e. there isn't a pre-built process provided by Cisco is there)? I would probably use SSIS but don't want to re-invent the wheel if it's already available :-)

Thanks again!

Chris.

Gergely Szabo Tue, 05/22/2012 - 08:02

Hi,

no, there's no built-in process for pushing data out of UCCX I am aware of. SSIS would be fine.

Creating an ODBC datasource to Informix is easy (found a couple of examples and step-by-step guides using Google), and once you got that ODBC datasource registered and functional, you can do (almost) anything. Like, for instance, a scheduled job.

To be quite honest with you, I never tried that (I do UCCE reporting, but not UCCX), but right now I am downloading the Informix Client SDK from the IBM developer website just to give it a try with our lab UCCX server. db_cra, here I come!

G.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Stats:
Replies:4 Avg. Rating:5
Views:1115 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard