Cisco Wireless Controller 5508 and Aironet 3600e AP

Answered Question
May 22nd, 2012

Hello guys,

My company wants to install a new WiFi Network and we thought about purchasing a Cisco Wireless Controller 5508 together with some Aironet 3600e APs (10 APs to start with).

I once took a CCNA class and I learned basic configuration using CLI but the course didn't cover the WiFi part and It's been a long time... and since I never used it in real life I kinda forgot it.

My question is: -Does this controller have a Web Interface (GUI) for easy configurations?
                      - Can I configure the Aironet 3600e through a GUI?

- Let's say we decide to buy two of these controllers for redundancy, should we buy the same number of licences on the second one?

- What would you recommend in terms of Network Control System...etc.
                      - What else should I think about?

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 1 year 10 months ago
My question is: -Does this controller have a Web Interface (GUI) for easy configurations?

Yes.

You configure (using GUI or CLI) the WLC and the WLC will "control" the WAPs.  You DO NOT configure the WAPs.  The WLC will do that for you.

- Let's say we decide to buy two of these controllers for redundancy, should we buy the same number of licences on the second one?

The license of the number of WAPs supported per unit.  Yes, it's recommended.

Think about Cisco Prime NCS instead of WCS.

For the 3600 to work, you need to run the 7.2.X firmware.

Read the Configuration Guides.

Correct Answer by George Stefanick about 1 year 10 months ago

I might shy away from WCS, as its being replaced with NCS.

Correct Answer by fbarboza about 1 year 10 months ago

The WLC are managed via the GUI or cli.

You just need to go through the configuration wizard and once the unit has an ip address on the management interface you can use the gui to configure the unit.

Since you will use a wlc , once the lwapp units or lwapp ap have joined the wlc using a layer 3 or layer 2 discovery method they join the wlc and you just need to access the wlc to configure the aps.

Regarding license the best thing is to have the same amount of access points so of primary wlc goes down all of your aps can move and be supported on the backup wlc .

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Average Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
fbarboza Tue, 05/22/2012 - 21:07

The WLC are managed via the GUI or cli.

You just need to go through the configuration wizard and once the unit has an ip address on the management interface you can use the gui to configure the unit.

Since you will use a wlc , once the lwapp units or lwapp ap have joined the wlc using a layer 3 or layer 2 discovery method they join the wlc and you just need to access the wlc to configure the aps.

Regarding license the best thing is to have the same amount of access points so of primary wlc goes down all of your aps can move and be supported on the backup wlc .

fbarboza Tue, 05/22/2012 - 21:16

Regarding network control remmeber that the wlc will manage all the aps registered to it abd if you want to manage several wlc then you can use a wcs to manage several wlc by using one device.

fbarboza Tue, 05/22/2012 - 21:34

Yes you are right better to use the NCS

Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Tue, 05/22/2012 - 22:25

Yes.

You configure (using GUI or CLI) the WLC and the WLC will "control" the WAPs.  You DO NOT configure the WAPs.  The WLC will do that for you.

The license of the number of WAPs supported per unit.  Yes, it's recommended.

Think about Cisco Prime NCS instead of WCS.

For the 3600 to work, you need to run the 7.2.X firmware.

Read the Configuration Guides.

BigBee117 Wed, 05/23/2012 - 12:37

Thanks a bunch to all of you who took a time to reply to my post. This is so helpful!

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Stats:
Replies:8 Avg. Rating:5
Views:1778 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard