Views
Helpful
Replies

3560-X ROMMON Mode

girish.patni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 3560 in a remote lab.I needed to bring the ROMMON mode.

But the switch doesn't accept the break sequence and boots normally.

Is there any way to bring this switch to ROMMON mode apart from using the MODE button physically in the lab .

Thanks

Girish

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are trying to get into the boot loader (ie. "switch:" prompt) you can achieve this via the "boot manual" global configuration command (then save the config and reload). Please note that you can access the boot loader through the switch console only so be careful as you are dealing with the remote lab box.

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since this is a REMOTE site, rename the IOS and remove the BIN file extension.   So when the exercise is finish, instruct someone to put the BIN file extension back and reload the switch.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Try changin config register to 0x2120 - this should instruct switch to boot int ROMMON directly. Or delete your current IOS file (as alst resort option) to fall into rommon.

Conf reg is change in conf t:

conf t

config-reg 0x2120

end

wr mem

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Thanks Nik

But i think that your reply will hold in case of routers only not switches.

The 3560X i am using does not support the config-register command at global config mode.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are trying to get into the boot loader (ie. "switch:" prompt) you can achieve this via the "boot manual" global configuration command (then save the config and reload). Please note that you can access the boot loader through the switch console only so be careful as you are dealing with the remote lab box.

Best regards,

Antonin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since this is a REMOTE site, rename the IOS and remove the BIN file extension.   So when the exercise is finish, instruct someone to put the BIN file extension back and reload the switch.

Thanks guys for all your help.

I used a safe route for this time and told someone in the remote lab to follow standard procedure for getting into ROMMON mode.

I'll able to use to your method after a week or two when the switch will be free for test.

Thanks

Girish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco