cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating WLAN Controller 2125 to 2504

Hello everybody,

I will migrate a Cisco WLAN Controller 2125 to 2504,

So I have one question?

I need to make all configuration into the new Wlan Controller or I can migrate with one tool or something else?

Best Regards

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Okay... well I think Cisco doesn't support it, but it does work.  To easiest way to get one config to the other is to take the config from the existing and putting it on the new wlc.  Now the new one will be offline, so when you do this, you can always verify that the configuration is identical.  Of course the part of the configuration that you will have to change is the hostname, mobility information, maybe ip address.  Now you can change this after you upload the config file or you can change it in the gui after the new wlc has the config.  All the other configurations should be the same, especially if you are going to and from the same code.  I have tested this with the 2100 to 2504 and 4400 to 5508. 

So above is how to get the configuration over not migrating over.  Now its up to you if the new wlc will have a different ip address so you can setup mobility between the two or just swap it out.  Or setup mobility and move the ap's to the new wlc and then change the ip address of the new wlc and remove the old one.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Was the firmware (AireOS) on the 2100 the same as what was in the 2504?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Okay, the ER image is an emergency release and it requires 7-0-235-0.aes. Most likely I'm guessing you uploaded 7-0-235-0.aes rebooted the wlc and then uploaded 7-0-235-0-ER.aes then rebooted again.

Sent from my iPad

-Scott

15 Replies 15

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can backup the config of the 2125 and upload that into the 2504. Just have the 2504 offline and verify everything took before you swap it out.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Really!

So easy, let me try and I will post feedback later

Best Regards

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Since the WLCs are different model i would not suggest to upload the configuration from one WLC to the other since the configuration may get damaged and also the 2100 needs an AP manager vrs the 2500 that does not need one.

It is advised that we load the configuration from one wlc to another if they are the same model and with the same code.

In this case what i would do is configure the 2500 with an IP address on the same subnet as the 2100 then configure the 2500 to match the 2100 and set mobility between them so that you can move the access points from the 2100 to the 2500.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Alan:

See what config guide says:

Do not download a configuration file to your controller that was uploaded from a different controller platform. For example, a Cisco 5500 Series Controller does not support the configuration file from a Cisco 4400 Series or 2100 Series Controller.

Reference: http://tiny.cc/xgpbfw

So I recommend the second option above to put the new WLC on same mobility group as running WLC and move the APs from one to another then remove the old one.

If you can bear a downtime you can simply configure the new with same config (including same IP addresses) offline and then swap the WLCs.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Okay... well I think Cisco doesn't support it, but it does work.  To easiest way to get one config to the other is to take the config from the existing and putting it on the new wlc.  Now the new one will be offline, so when you do this, you can always verify that the configuration is identical.  Of course the part of the configuration that you will have to change is the hostname, mobility information, maybe ip address.  Now you can change this after you upload the config file or you can change it in the gui after the new wlc has the config.  All the other configurations should be the same, especially if you are going to and from the same code.  I have tested this with the 2100 to 2504 and 4400 to 5508. 

So above is how to get the configuration over not migrating over.  Now its up to you if the new wlc will have a different ip address so you can setup mobility between the two or just swap it out.  Or setup mobility and move the ap's to the new wlc and then change the ip address of the new wlc and remove the old one.

-Scott

Thanks Scott for your valuable information.

But there are still commands that are available on one platform and not on the other. How will those commands will be migrated of the command itself is not available on the new platform?

For example, if you are using external web authentication, you need to configure this command on 4400 platform:

config custom-web ext-webserver add index IP-address

if you have 5508 platform however, this command is not exist and you need to configure pre-authentication ACL (which is not needed in the first platform if the above command applied).

In such cases if you are migrating from 4400 to 5508 then your external web-auth will not by default work because you need to configure preauth ACL which was not needed in the old platform.

I am not aware about any other thing but there could probably be some other cases like the one I just mentioned.

I think this is why Cisco does not support backup/restore config among different platforms; to avoid such cases.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4
Backup and restore is not supported between any two different WLC models. 
As a suggestion you can pull a "show run-config commands" from the old WLC
and use a "majority" of the information to build the config on the new WLC.

If you upload the configuration file from one model of WLC 
to a different model the WLC, it will take the configuration but it may or may not work.

Hello Scott,

I uploaded the old config to the new controller, make test and all works fine, the only problem was all passwords (users and ssid) did not work, just reconfigure and thats it, all works fine.

Best Regards

PS sorry for my english

Well thanks for letting us know how it worked. I still perform this type of migration especially when I have to migrate many WLCs. I never did run into the issues you had, but for me to manually configure each WLC, is a waste of time. At least your feedback will help other. Did you have the WLCs on the same code by chance?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Hello Scott,

when you say same code you mean same IOS?

Best Regards

Was the firmware (AireOS) on the 2100 the same as what was in the 2504?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Let me see,

2100 AIR-WLC2100-K9-7-0-235-0-ER.aes

2500 AIR-CT2500-K9-7-0-235-0.aes

I think yes,

Best Regards

Did you first upload 7.0.235.0 then reboot the wlc and then uploaded the 7.0.235.0 ER image then reboot? The reason I ask is that the ER image is not the full image and it's only an emergency release. If you did only upload the ER image, then most likely you still have the older firmware on the 2100.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Okay, the ER image is an emergency release and it requires 7-0-235-0.aes. Most likely I'm guessing you uploaded 7-0-235-0.aes rebooted the wlc and then uploaded 7-0-235-0-ER.aes then rebooted again.

Sent from my iPad

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: