Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS EXpressway with internet endpoints

Hello,

A customer is looking for VCS solutions. I will offer them VCS Control and Expressway solution. They asked me about the media stream of the VCS Expressway and the endpoints on the internet which will register to the VCS expressway. For example we have two endpoints on the internet registered to the VCS expressway. While a videoconferencing between these two endpoints, where will media stream pass? I know all streams (signaling and media) passes through VCS Expressway. But I couldn't find a document so that I can show the customer that. Do you have any document showing that?

Btw, in that case the customer prefer that media streams passes directly between endpoints. I know it is not possible in this solution. Can you confirm that?

Regards,

Tufan

7 Replies 7

gubadman
Level 3
Level 3

It would depend if the endpoints are on the internet or not, and if not, if they are on the same network or reachable networks. TURN and ICE also come into play here for media routing

The following docs are good starting point:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_IP_Port_Usage_for_Firewall_Traversal_Deployment_Guide_X4_to_X7.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pdf

I thought there was another document with TURN call flows which was going to be published - I will try and find out what is happening to that.

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

Tufan,

it should also be helpful to take a look at the following web page, which describes which types of calls on a VCS-E are traversal calls or not:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/articles/vcs_traversal_call_license_usage_kb_168.shtml

- Andreas

Thanks all for your support. Let's assume we have a vcs expressway and we have two endpoints installed in different sites on the internet (so they don't register with VCS Control, they register to VCS Expressway). I think we can register these endpoints as traversal enabled endpoints and in each case the call between these two endpoints will be a traversal call (so media passes through VCS Expressway). I think I can not make the call a non-traversal call. Actually the customer want to do that because of bandwidth issue. Is it possible? If so, could you please explain that? For example can I make it possible giving the endpoints real ip addresses (no NAT)?

If it is not clear I can draw a network diagram which I try to explain.

Regards,

Tufan

Tufan,

it is indeed possible to achieve a non-traversal call between two endpoints registered to a VCS-E, for example two SIP-registered endpoints which are not behind NAT's.

For devices registered to VCS-E on H323, calls between these will always be traversal calls, unless neither of the devices support Assent or H460.18/19 traversal standards.

You can also use TURN/ICE (As Guy mentioned) to optimize media routing, assuming both involved devices support ICE.

- Andreas

It is a good news for me. I think TURN/ICE feature would be a good solution for us. Actually the customer has no endpoints right now. I think I can do that with all new Cisco endpoints as well as Jabber. I will investigate this feature in detail and turn back to the customer. Btw, I understand I can put the endpoints behind of NAT/FW with TURN/ICE feature. 

Thanks again.

I've been sent the TURN/ICE slides that I mentioned perviously now - I think it will take me a couple of weeks to sort them out and get them up on cisco.com as a pdf document, but I'll message here when I've done that.

ok. thanks. I am looking forward to...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: